please help me out, I dont know what is wrong with my angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HUKIT said:
I believe alot of those issues are seconday infections stemming from the original problem, so you must decide what your course of action is but I've given you my recommendation.

And I am very great full! I am great full for everyone that has helped me and my fish!

Another update:
The red vanes seem to be gone.
The fin rot is still going crazy! (Her fins are about 1/2 the length they used to be)
The cotton looking white fux has spread to all the fins
She is still not eating

I am currently doing 30-50% pwc every day. I dose 1 packet of maracyn, 1 packet of maracyn two, 1 heaping teaspoon of aquarium salt, and just over 1 milliliter of melafix.
Shouldn't this dosing combination have no problem destroying the bacteria that is eating the fins?

I am so confused!

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I've never had any luck with Melafix.
Please read this short web page. It should help you make a decision.
www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html
It is for everything, especially fin rot, but also cures fungus, bacteria, parasites.
At this point what do you have to loose. She's still sick and new infections keep cropping up. You really need one medication that gets everything at the same time.
Plus if you keep having to mix different meds. your going to need a degree in chemistry. With this med. the chemists at Seachem have done it for you. Just do a a big WC, then add 5ml (capful) for every 10g. It works really well and normally it's quick, but after so much time has passed, it may take more time than usual.
But at least read what it has to say and give it a try. It can't hurt, and considering that what you've been doing hasn't worked, you need to try something different.

WendiDell said:
As I mentioned in earlier posts, I've never had any luck with Melafix.
Please read this short web page. It should help you make a decision.
www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html
It is for everything, especially fin rot, but also cures fungus, bacteria, parasites.
At this point what do you have to loose. She's still sick and new infections keep cropping up. You really need one medication that gets everything at the same time.
Plus if you keep having to mix different meds. your going to need a degree in chemistry. With this med. the chemists at Seachem have done it for you. Just do a a big WC, then add 5ml (capful) for every 10g. It works really well and normally it's quick, but after so much time has passed, it may take more time than usual.
But at least read what it has to say and give it a try. It can't hurt, and considering that what you've been doing hasn't worked, you need to try something different.

Tomorrow I am going to switch medication... how about this attack plan:
Do a 1 hour paraguard dip, them start to treat the fish by the 5ml per 10 gallons?
Do you think a 1 hour dip would be too hard on my fish?

Tomorrow I am going to switch medication... how about this attack plan:
Do a 1 hour ParaGuard dip, them start to treat the fish by the 5ml per 10 gallons?
Do you think a 1 hour dip would be too hard on my fish?

Without seeing her it's hard to say. It really depends on how weak she's become. If it were one of mine that had been sick for so long, I'd only soak it for half the time. Then treat with the 5 mls per 10 gallons. Until she's a little stronger, then give her another 30 min. dip.
But you'll have to judge for yourself if she's strong enough to take the one hour dip. I can't really tell you what your fish can or can't tolerate.
But I wish you lots of luck.

This morning I did a 75% pwc and I started to dose with paraguard (and aquarium salt). I hope it works...

WendiDell said:
I hope so too. Please let me know how it goes. My only worry is that she's been sick for a while now and may be to weak.

This morning she is still alive, and she is trying her hardest to swim, but she can't turn (her fins are so damaged). I think I am going to call it... I woke up this morning and she was stuck on the filter intake.
What is the best way to "put her down"? I think it is for the better :'(

There is a sticky at the top of this section for different methods of euphanizing fish but I recommend using clove oil where others use the near freezing water method.

I would like to thank everyone for the help and support then have given me in trying to save this beloved anglefish. Everyone has been so patient with me. Thanks to you good folks my anglefish lived 2 weeks longer than she would have. Thanks again! I hope I never have to put a fish down again! I feel really strange... but I believe at this point it would be less humane to keep her alive than it is to send her to heaven... :'(

Now that that is over with... I need to sterilize my fish net, heater, and filter how should i do it? I have heard of boiling the nets but I can't boil the heater and filter can I?

So sorry that things didn't work out. I should have sent the web info sooner, it may have helped.
I've had to euthanize a fish before and it sucks no matter how humane you are about it.

So sorry

So sorry to hear she didn't make it... She was the reason I joined Aquarium Advice... Well at least it's over and she's not suffering anymore

Dorelita said:
So sorry to hear she didn't make it... She was the reason I joined Aquarium Advice... Well at least it's over and she's not suffering anymore

Well we are happy to have you at AA! And my anglefish is in a better place I bet the water parameters in heaven are 0,0,0 :)

Hahaha...I want to live there too! I must say I needed a laugh- lame I know but I've been studying for bar exam n it is just not sticking in my brain! All I want to do is look at my angelfish swim. I just installed bubbles with blue led, and he likes to ride them- very funny, especially when the light reflects off of him. Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Will definitely be chatting more once the test is over... I got a long way to go and a bunch of questions before becoming a fish geek ;p

Sorry about the fish! And you probably don't want to hear this right now but its actually in saltwater... :(

Back
Top Bottom