Please help my heads and tails tetra!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jengirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have 5 heads and tails tetras and 5 black neon and of course pleco.

My concern is one of my heads and tails tetras I started calling him paranaha jaw about 3 weeks ago because his jaw is more box shaped and sorta like a paranaha then the others. He will eat but seems afraid of the others from his pack about 3 weeks ago he seemed to start hiding from the others in the plants we have in the aquarium. his gills also look like some damage was done because inside they look fine he just can't seem to close his gills all the way. I feel bad for him and just want him to get better.

Yesterday I knew that the problem got worse because it looks like he got into a fight with one of the other fish there is some blood pooling under the skin underneath his jaw and his gills are a little more puffed out I think. But he is surviving and I think he needs a chance.

I heard that if you only have 5 heads and tails they can become aggressive but two of the 7 died a bit ago 1 in a heater malfunction, and the other was old age I believe.

But so far all of the other fish are perfectly healthy no sign of health issues so perhaps it was a fight that went bad or something I will post a picture of him later today when he comes out for a bit he seems to be more brave at night.

Everything i have read online hasn't explained his condition I'm getting frustrated. The water levels are great and he seems to be the only one affected. I grew close to the little guy I really want him to have a chance and not sure if I can treat this or if he should be eutinised.

Do you test your water? How big of a tank? What is your water temp?

you almost seem to be describing what I think is now gill worms or gill flukes. I have a thread with a pic of my german blue ram "red around gills" or something like that. anyway I have a pic posted - does yours look like mine?

The funny thing is his gills are not red at all inside they look fine. Just so I know what is the name of your thread HeatherW I will go and look and come back with a answer if it is similar.

As for the questions about the tank its a 29 g, the temperature is 87 I think the thermometer is on 85,86,and 87 so went with the higher number. and as for the water conditions the last time I looked was a few days ago they were normal I brought some into the fish store to be tested. might bring some in again tomorrow to be certain.

Thank you for your advice you are both a big help.

Hi,

As for your question HeatherW I have looked at your post and its not like that the red is just under the jaw its not a line its more roundish and the gill flaps seem to always be partially open. One day it wasn't open as much but then after the red appeared under the chin it was staying open more so and its both gills not just one. I have noticed that 1 heads and tails in particular is vicious I just noticed it today even turns on the others in the pack I guess you would call it chasing the other heads and tails and the neons.

Can the gill disease form like a pool of blood instead of worm like? Should I try treating it for that just to be sure?

I just looked up the condition for gill worm or gill flukes

-my fish doesn't gasp at the surface of the water for air. He seems to just hide about 5 inches from the surface or further down he doesn't seem to go near the surface or to far away from the plant.

-The gills are opening and closing rapidly but as I said before they don't close fully so maybe it is to compensate for the lack of gill function.

-The gills are not covered by mucus.

- But it does look as though part of the gills are missing not much but perhaps thats why they don't appear to be closing.

- And I have not seen him scrape or flashing.

What ever is going on seems to just be affecting him

I am not sure... but it may be the same thing. hopefully someone can confirm for you. I am treating mine with prazipro. I will post pics and see if it improves.

good luck. can you post a pic? that would really help.
also - mine is not at the surface either, but I still think that is what it is

I tried to take a picture of him but it keeps coming out blurry Tried differnt angles, tried zooming in on him. How did you get your picture so clear?

Back
Top Bottom