Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Please help my severely injured dojo loach

3:30 am and too warm to sleep. So I awake and power the aquarium light on. Upon minimal inspection, I notice the bubble bar halfway uprooted from the small gravel. This is no surprise considering this is my smaller cichlid tank, so they redecorate at will. Upon further inspection, I noticed a dojo loach looks much smaller than usual. This particular loach has suffered a trauma of having its tail brutally removed (and ultimately shortening the fish by 1"), as with as having all of the fins except the ones close to the dojo loach's face removed. I immediately proceeded to do a PWC for something seems real fishy. Added melafix and aquarium salt and am really in need of knowing the best method of treating this dojo loach right now, because even though it was obviously recent and likely to be deadly fast- the fish is still alive and swimming aimlessly like an injured snake. This may be due to the mix of aquarium salt and melafix which I would imagine burn the open wounds in order to encourage healing I Whether the dojo got stuck somewhere and had to "lose a limb to live" or was jumped by my convicts or jewel cichlids- I know not. Chances of 1" convicts and jewels doing this extreme of damage to a fish I would question, which makes me believe the loach got stuck- maybe in the 10lb coral.

29g 3 Clown Loaches, 3 Jewel Cichlids, 2 Convicts all 1", 1 BP 3", 1 Synodontis Eupterus 2", and now one and a half dojo loaches. HELP!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Does it looked like it was attacked (red open wounds)? Or does it look more like something has eaten the fins away? I would remove to QT definitley and try melafix. Try keeping the lights off to.

Hope he pulls through.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, poor loach. I would definitely suspect the tankmates. It really sounds like a lethal injury, and perhaps you should consider euthanasia-that has got to be painful, especially w/salt and Melafix in the water. I'm so sorry for your loach-love those little guys...

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I would probably bypass the salt and QT him using Pimafix and Melafix in combination.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the loach still with us?

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
How's the loach doing?

Tags
injured, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com