Please help my Solusi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryanmay91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My Solusi Cichlid has been sick for quite some time now. I have noticed signs of illness for about 6-8 weeks (firstly due to feeding difficulties). Her condition seems to be deteriorating and I am lost what to do.

Initially, I noticed her struggle swallowing flakes. She seems to suck in a lot of air and had trouble expelling this air through her gills as well as swallowing the food. After I saw this, I removed her to a hospital tank by herself (which wasn't set up, but I used some of my current filter media to make sure it was cycled). The tank is 130L and water parameters are fine (Ph 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrates & Nitrites 0, Temp ~26-28 degrees Celsius)

She is around 2.5 years old and I have had her for 2 years. This is the first time I have had problems with her. I have now noticed her colour deteriorate, her tail fin deteriorate (it is beinning to become spikey, "rotting" away) and she has also developed a red spoke on her side. I have also noticed redness is her gills (ammonia levels have been fine) so I have treated with anti parasitic medication.

I first treated her tank about 2 weeks ago with Trichlorfon. A week later I did not notice any improvements so I treated with Praziquantel. It is now 2 weeks since treatments and her fins are worsening, the spot is getting larger and her gills are still red.

Some of my other fish in my may tank are showing signs of parasite infection (flashing, rubbing against take objects). I think this may have been the original problem but fear she has some other infection now.

Please see some photos attached. I have included one of her when she was healthy.

Attachments

• DSC_0168.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 57
There are also some black spots developing on her body. It is difficult to see in the photos, but you can see some in the first photo. She has more on the other side of her body.

Sorry I was a bit rushed when writing my original post. Her deforming tail fin hasn't occurred due to nipping (sorry it is also difficult to see) as she has been by herself for over 2 weeks now and it is getting progressively worse. There doesn't seem to be any discolouration to her tail fin, just very jagged edges. Love someones cut little V's out with scissors. Her left pectoral fin also looks unhealthy/deteriorated and is actually developing blackness around the outer edge.

What I believe happened is that during the setup of my new tank, and the addition of some new fish previously (I had aggression problems, she was picked on) her immune system was compromised and she contracted a parasite, most likely in her gills (hence the red gills & trouble eating/filtering out air). I think that the parasite has really taken its tole on her and she may have contracted some other diseases (which I am at a loss as to how I should treat). She is still eating (although struggling) and I am not entirely sure if her gill function has improved (it doesn't seem to have). Physically though, she look as if she is becoming much much worse.

Should I keep treating with Prazi & Trichlorfon? if so which one would be better? are there any other medications I should try and what do you guys actually think is wrong with the poor thing? She is my first and favorite fish :(

Have you tried Paraguard? I've seen it do wonders for parasites but have not used it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I haven't. It could be a good idea because she also probably has a bacterial inflection now and I think it helps with that as well. according to the website anyway. I doubt my high tank temp (~84 Fahrenheit) is helping with that either.

Back
Top Bottom