Please help ... Nitrite & nitrate VERY high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debs131313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just did a partial water change and then tested the water levels in my two 3 gallon tanks with a betta in each one. I made sure the temperature of the added water were the same and added stress zyme and stress coat to the ingoing water. The levels were good before the change, but now they are as follows:

Strip test:
ROMEO:pH - 7.8; Alkalinity - 300; hard water - 300; Nitrite - 3.0; Nitrate - 160
JULIO: pH - 7.8; Alkalinity - 300; hard water - 300; Nitrite - 3.0; Nitrate - 80

I'm new at this and don't know what to do to fix there water. PLEASE HELP ASAP.

I have aquarium salt and a few other things?????

Anxiously awaiting your replies!!!

Thank you.

In the meantime, I will be checking the water levels with the API master kit testing kit
user_online.gif
progress.gif

When was the last time it had a good cleaning?

That's strange the parameters are out of whack after a water change. Have you ever tested your tap water?

These are both new tanks going from a one gallon, no filter no heat tanks to these filtered and heated 3 gallon tanks, so I have not cleaned them yet, other than rinsing off everything before adding to the new tanks ...

I tested the water with the API master kit and the results are as follows:

ROMEO: pH-8.0; Ammonia-.25/.50; Nitrite-0; Nitrate-0
JULIO: pH-8.0; Ammonia-.25/.50; Nitrite-0; Nitrate-0

I retested with the strips and here are those results:

ROMEO:pH-7.2; Alkalinity-120; hard water-150; Nitrite-0; Nitrate-20
JULIO: pH-7.2; Alkalinity-120; hard water-150; Nitrite-0; Nitrate-20

These results are more reasonable ... any suggestions? Anything I should fix or look for?

Please help ... Nitrite & nitrate VERY high

Ahh no filter. What's the ammonia at? It sounds like it's starting to cycle. Others here will have more understanding of how to do a "fish in " cycle or search the forum. You will need to keep up with water changes until the good bacteria can catch up.
Also, it's very hard to keep conditions stable with tanks so small. It would be worthwhile to get a bigger tank when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the first problem is the test strips. They are unreliable. This is from experience but you'll find many who will say the same.
I would be very weary of anything that would report 160 or really anything above 15ppm nitrate right after a water change. Nitrates usually take a while (at the very least days) to rise to those levels
I would recommend using 3-4x dose of Seachem Prime every 48hr as well as Seachem Stability dosed per directions on the bottle.

good thing they are bettas and are more or less unaffected by the water conditions. while not ideal, bettas can handle pretty bad water conditions.
I wouldn't bother adding a bunch of additives to the water and stuff, just allow the system to cycle naturally and it will be fine. Do a partial water change every few days matching the temp and treating with a good conditioner, but things like stress coat are probably not needed.

Ahh no filter. What's the ammonia at? It sounds like it's starting to cycle. Others here will have more understanding of how to do a "fish in " cycle or search the forum. You will need to keep up with water changes until the good bacteria can catch up.
Also, it's very hard to keep conditions stable with tanks so small. It would be worthwhile to get a bigger tank when you can.

there is filtration in the new set-up.

I agree with some of others.....use some prime to detoxify ammonia and do water changes to reduce toxins . Throw the test strips in the trash and use the API kit , look on here or other forums about fish in cycle and follow to the letter . The object is to get the water quality to max no mater what species of fish you are trying to keep .

Thanks much for all your replies:

Nightshark: Will keep up with the partial water changes, but didn’t do well one time when trying to siphon the waste from the gravel … it took all the water out too!!! I just used a baster to try and get some of the waste out this last time, but it hardly picked up anything. Is there a reasonably priced specific vacuum I can use instead that won’t empty the tanks water every time?

Also, these are the fourth set of tanks I have purchased for these bettas in almost a year … I can’t afford to keep buying more … I have already spent hundreds of dollars on stuff for them (which is way worth it), but what do those who really can’t afford it supposed to do to keep their fish and their tanks up???

Some responses to my questions suggested I treat the tanks one way, so I bought that stuff, and then another post would say don’t ever do that, do this and I would go and get that stuff. Both having good arguments for their advice, how can one know who to trust???

Aquarium Advice Newbie: I will use Seachem Prime (if I can find it) 3-4x doses every 48hrs. Is Seachem Stability a different product than Seachem Prime. Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh … more money!!!

PB_Smith: I appreciate your reply, but just a note, this is again opposite advice from what I previously received. I was told the stress coat is a water conditioner just like all the others???

I feel like it is so complicated now, and don't know what advice to follow because all the advice and suggestions are so absolutely opposed to one another, and spending $20 bucks a day approx. when following different advice from others, and feeling bad because I might have followed the wrong advice, it's getting to be too much when there is not one consolidated train of thought for these poor fishes' owners to rely upon. I am thinking of giving them up to someone more qualified than me.

Nah you can do this. Aqueon makes a smaller siphon I believe. Check Amazon. Regarding the conditioners; anything Seachem is good but their prices tend to be high. If you are using the API brand of stress coat it does make the water safe. I'll leave it to the veteran members to consolidate the rest.

Back
Top Bottom