Please help now!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
My amano shrimp appears to be dying! He is on his side and his legs keep moving! I have flipped him up once and he seemed better then he flopped back over and started twitching his legs! It's not just his nerves! I put a betta cup around him to protect him for the other fish! I don't know what to do please help me!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414982506.066649.jpg I'm testing my water right now! I did a 50% water change today about 7-8 hours ago :( he was fine! I have noticed for about a week (I planted my tank about a week ago) that's he has gotten a big oranger than before.. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414982583.787564.jpg he wasn't ever as dark as in that pic. Please help! Ok here's my nitrite ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414982618.772777.jpg AHHHHH why is it so high?!?! How can I lower it ;( please help!!! Nitrates are high but still in safe range. About to test everything else! Will post what's going on with the other stuff! PLEASE HELP ME!!

Sent from my iPhone

Your tank is not cycled, amanos require a very well established tank.. let him go, ice him. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank has been running for about a year.. Just did plants a week ago and used about 75% of old water. I will let him go ;(

Sent from my iPhone

You have major issues.. nitrites have no place in a cycled tank.. period.. filter? Cleaning methods?
Edit, you rescaped?

Ammonia 0ppm. Retesting nitrate because the first test I got to many drops.. And I tested the water about 2 weeks ago and every level was completely normal! Have the aqueon filter that came with it. It's a 10 gallon. I change the filter cartridge ever 3-4 weeks or when it gets red. I'm going to make another comment forgot your other questions

Sent from my iPhone

I do water changes every one to two weeks taking about 25% out and doing a 50% once a month. I keep algae off walls (barely is any) and having sucker fish. And no the tank before was just gravel with no plants or anything (except an Amazon sword and some micro sword in a jar of substrate. I put in a substrate for plants. I added a rock from another aquarium. Plants I added were the Amazon sword and micro sword in the jar, (2 moss balls that were in there before), anubias nana, peacock ferns, and an El Niño fern. All of the other fish seem good! How can I get my nitrites down?

Sent from my iPhone

Just fed and everybody came up to get it like normal.

Sent from my iPhone

I have a 10 gal. Tank with 2 small fish, i change % 50 every 5-6 days. The filter is cleaned but never changed.. what's in your 10? Any interest in keeping your filter cycled all the time? ;)

There's an assortment of tropical fish. It's a bit overstocked, but I do water changes and test the water a lot and levels are always down at 0 or where they should be.. This is the first time I have ever had any water problems. There's 11 fish most are under 1 inch but I have two that are about an inch and a half. Ok this nitrate test was better but I let the first drops sit for about 3 min before continuing because I was on here.. But it's reading at about 5-10 ppm

Sent from my iPhone

There's an assortment of tropical fish. It's a bit overstocked, but I do water changes and test the water a lot and levels are always down at 0 or where they should be.. This is the first time I have ever had any water problems. There's 11 fish most are under 1 inch but I have two that are about an inch and a half. Ok this nitrate test was better but I let the first drops sit for about 3 min before continuing because I was on here.. But it's reading at about 5-10 ppm

Sent from my iPhone

You just said you do a % 25 wc every 2 weeks? ?? Listen.. i really don't mind.. whatever works for you.. you'll really have to up your game if you want that tank to work? What fish? Be specific..

About 25% sometimes more. And I have two baby cherry barbs (in getting rid of them), 2 young guppies, 1 snail, 3 sucker fish idk what kind they are all about 3/4 inch maybe a tiny less but about that, uhh lol I'm not at the tank anymore I have to remember! I might forget a couple but a dwarf gourami, and 2 glass fish things I'm not sure what their name is for sure. The gourami is about 1 3/4 inch and the glass fish are both about 1 1/2 inch. So yeah it's over stocked..

Sent from my iPhone

I just put in oscomote root tabs 4 days ago. Would that do anything?

Sent from my iPhone

I just put in oscomote root tabs 4 days ago. Would that do anything?

Sent from my iPhone

Assuming the osmocote did not leak out of the gel tablets and they were buried deep enough, then those should be fine.
Being overstocked you really should be something more like 50% per week (as previously mentioned).
When you tested for nitrite and got the height result, did you test for ammonia as well? If so, what did you get?
When cleaning the filter, are you replacing only the floss cartridge? Are you cleaning the bio-holster and grid? You may want to think about simply swishing the cartridge in a bucket of water removed from a tank and reusing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will do more water changes. Ammonia was at 0 ppm. And I usually just replace the cartridge and I clean out the entire filter rarely but keep it relatively clean on a monthly basis, usually a bit more, when I do water changes.

Sent from my iPhone

Well, there was ammonia in there at some time before it was converted to nitrite. Perhaps it was the DYI root tabs. What else occurred in the last two weeks?
I am not too familiar with the filter model, but it has the cartridge and blue plastic parts (grid, holster)? How are you cleaning those parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I took everything out. Put in a new substrate and plants. Added a big rock from another aquarium. And added 2 sucker fish. That's was about a week ago. Since then I added the root tabs 4 days ago. I did a 50% water change today. That has been any recent activity before that was just weekly or every other week water changes and cleanings. And topping off the water from evaporation.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414990730.681325.jpg here it is. As you can see I keep it all clean. If it's ever dirty I clean it up. I take out the blue things every now and then and give them a good rinse. And I very rarely take the whole thing out and dump it all out and really clean it. But it stays clean in there. It's always on except when I do water changes so it doesn't hurt it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414990847.029488.jpg I pick things off of the intake part too if there are any.

Sent from my iPhone

The white you see is just the glare from the light I had on so you could see it!

Sent from my iPhone

You must of added something wrong or did something to the tank to cause a ammonia spike that fast a major water change may have damaged the cycle and could of cause high ammonia

Gavin read above. It says what I have done recently. Also when I did my water change today I added dechlorinater, ph decreaser, flourish excel, and some fluval water maintenance thing that is supposed to regulate the water levels

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom