Please Help! Sick fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakeandwendy

Aquarium Advice Activist
wish i would've read about fishless cycling before i got my fish, but i'm in it now. my question is with diagnosing a disease. i just lost an angelfish and the other is acting the same way. heres the sequence of symptoms: first hiding down by the ugf uptake at the back bottom corner of the tank, along with not eating. then i noticed what appeared to be a cottony looking growth above his eye. okay maybe ich. gradually raised tank temp to 86F and added a bubble bar for aeration. came back and he was floating vertically at the surface, gasping. wouldn't even respond when i touched his fin. was trying to get a picture of the growth when i noticed a long cottony thread coming out of him, sorta between his eye and top fin. it was too thick to be a hair. when i saw this i did some more research and now i think it may be some sorta fungal infection. the other angel is doing the same thing, hiding out by the uptake. now that i'm aware of it, i've been noticing some flashing in my raphael cats too. may have been some in the angels too now that i think about it. i don't have a qt set up and probably won't be able to get one running for a while. any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? the one angel died and the others sick too. i really want to save as many as i can. if you could help me out i'd really appreciate it. im lowering the temp. back down and am going to the lfs tommorrow. water parameters have been acceptable for a cycling tank.

First start with a water change. It sounds like the fish have a fungus. You will need a medication for fungus. I prefer Jungle's fungus eliminator. However it is more difficult to treat a tank while cycling. You will have to keep an eye on parameters while treating.

Back
Top Bottom