Please help stressed keyhole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naturelover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
So I have had my keyhole cichlids for about 3years. Originally had 4 but two were beating up on the 2. I thought they were a pair of because of this behavior. For this reason I gave the 2 they were beating up on away. But more recently I have one beating up on other and one is hiding in the corner almost completely black stressed and visually distorted. I am just curious what can I do so he is not so stressed out. If anything? All live plants, gravel substrate, a filter and a air pump. No new fish added. They were purchased together. They use to get along fine. I don't know what happened. Thank you for your help.

Tank specs

29 gallons
temp: 74F
ph: 6.5

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In general I do the same and just give one away or separate. I've tried re-arranging the tank and sometimes it works but unfortunately I think tanks aren't big enough to match nature.

Maybe try rearranging the tank and leaving the lights out for a day?
Edit- what dela said!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I understand u have 3 in a 29 and 2 have paired. If so you wil nerd to rehome the 1. 30 " is to small for more than a pair and that is pushing it.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mikem I only have 2 keyholes.

I have rearranged the tank and it's seems to be helping.

Would it be better to give one away?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would keep an eye on the 2 and make sure there is a lot of hiding spots and breaks in line of sight but if that don't work then you will need to separate them or if possible a 40B 36"x18" or 40 48"x12" long tank for them.

Back
Top Bottom