Please help!!! Urgent Parrot Fish Emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!
I have tried to ask about this before but no one seems to respond. I beg of you guys to please help me out because the condition has gotten so bad! I am leaving soon and cannot leave the fish without knowing what this is. Basically there is a huge growth on my 4 year old parrots nose and it looks as if it is some sort of parasite because sometimes I see her smashing her face against the aquarium. She damaged her entire face from this making it flat :( it has been going on for months now but does not affect her playfulness and ability to eat. She acts like it's not there. But i clearly notice it and it looks painful! The tank is a 70galloj with some peaceful fire mouths and geos that do there own thing. She is about 7 inches long. The ph in the tank is about 7.4 and the temp is 82 please look at the pictures. Thanks sooooo much in advance. I hope someone answers :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344068.650198.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344082.576429.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344101.695840.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344336.829182.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467344346.575803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm confused - is this the same fish that had the ulcer or abrasion and then developed a growth? As well as previous balance issues?

Try putting some API Pimafix or API Furan 2 in your tank

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

I'm confused - is this the same fish that had the ulcer or abrasion and then developed a growth? As well as previous balance issues?

Yes it's the same fish but it's been a continuation of an issue. It just has gotten worse.

Try putting some API Pimafix or API Furan 2 in your tank

Are those similar to melafix by chance? If not what do each of those do?

Yes it's the same fish but it's been a continuation of an issue. It just has gotten worse.

Did you try any meds at all or anything else? I'll have to read back through previous threads.

Also do you have tank readings for nitrates, etc? I assume tank is quite established and no other troubles?

Last edited:
Did you try any meds at all or anything else? I'll have to read back through previous threads.

Also do you have tank readings for nitrates, etc? I assume tank is quite established and no other troubles?

No other troubles...breeding as usual for the fire mouths, everyone's happy. Nitrates are fine...I put extra stress coat, a dosage of salt and a filter change.

I was told it could be a form of cancer but to me as a guess it looks like an infection or a parasite.

Personally, I would not have let that fish suffer like that for so long.

Personally, I would not have let that fish suffer like that for so long.

I agree! I have tried treating with an antibiotic but it didn't help. People on the forum before said to just leave it and it is fine. As I stated earlier she is extremely active and acts like nothing is there. Please if you know how to fix this let me know

Are those similar to melafix by chance? If not what do each of those do?

Sorry i meant API Melafix..it treats open wounds and reddening of the body..furan-2 treats open red sores

I thought you said:

Now the story is:

So which is it? :facepalm:

She acts like she's nothing there sorry I meant to say that a while back I noticed her smashing her face but now it looks like a growth and she acts completely normal. With that said can you help ?

So 2 questions, now: 1) Has it changed much over time, i.e. getting bigger, different color, etc.? and 2) Are you sure it's not an injury from hitting what appears to be some rough-looking rocks in there?

So 2 questions, now: 1) Has it changed much over time, i.e. getting bigger, different color, etc.? and 2) Are you sure it's not an injury from hitting what appears to be some rough-looking rocks in there?

It has gotten larger over time and it could be from the rough rocks in there but the amount of time that has passed it makes it seem like it's not from the rocks but it definately could be.

Just a WAG, but I'm thinking it got scared, bumped it's nose pretty hard and been struggling with it ever since. Doubtful it's pathogenic if it's been there more than a couple weeks.

Just a WAG, but I'm thinking it got scared, bumped it's nose pretty hard and been struggling with it ever since. Doubtful it's pathogenic if it's been there more than a couple weeks.

Okay so if it is some damage. How would you treat. I have been doing constant water changes and keeping the water clean but it's getting worse. I can't move her to a hospital tank cause she is too big. Thanks

I'd try the melafix as others have suggested. Mela is usually for bacterial issues so if she had an infection it might help.
Mardel also makes some good stuff, like marycin and marycin two ive used on mysterious stuff and it works pretty well without throwing things off.
Salt works wonders but I usually keep my tank dosed with each water change, very small dose but it's always there. I know you said you dosed salt already but to me you really have to keep going not just a one and done

Sent from my Pixel C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That thing is atrocious. How often is it getting clean water? If you've been doing everything correctly it's some type of cancer or alien infection that needs to be killed with fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That thing is atrocious. How often is it getting clean water? If you've been doing everything correctly it's some type of cancer or alien infection that needs to be killed with fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol brookster can't tell if your joking...water is cleaned every other week and filter is rated for 120gallons. Not sure what to do

Back
Top Bottom