Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please help with ich and vacation!!

Oh crud. My bros tank has ich! To make it worse we are leaving to go out of town in 1 day! I hav ko idea what to do!
Stock list is:
2x african dwarf frog
3x cardinal tetra
5x glowlight tetra
An unknown number of kuhli loaches
A badis
And an unidebtified tadpole (temperary)
I dont know what to do! The badis is sensitive to higher temps, I dont know if frogs or loaches can handle salt, and I know meds arnt good especially since we cant be here to remove them! HELP!!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long are you going to be out of town for? I know the badis don't like it that hot, but I honestly would slowly ramp the temp up to 86 and hope for the best while you are gone. You can't do anything else that wouldn't require supervison. It's likely the badis will survive the high temperature for a short period and you stand to save the most fish by increasing to this temperature.

Edit: Also, treating with salt may wipe out your bb as I have recently found treating my goldfish. So, this is definitely something I would not try while being away. One more thing... 3 cardinals?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
How long are you going to be out of town for? I know the badis don't like it that hot, but I honestly would slowly ramp the temp up to 86 and hope for the best while you are gone. You can't do anything else that wouldn't require supervison. It's likely the badis will survive the high temperature for a short period and you stand to save the most fish by increasing to this temperature.

Edit: Also, treating with salt may wipe out your bb as I have recently found treating my goldfish. So, this is definitely something I would not try while being away. One more thing... 3 cardinals?
Thanks. We will be gone 10 days! Wilk they be ok that long? And yea the 3 cardinals wasnt planned. 3 dissappeared a month or so ago....
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I think they'll be ok that long. I might have someone come over and feed them a couple of times though and I'd probably run an airstone since the higher temperature will decrease the oxygen level.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I think they'll be ok that long. I might have someone come over and feed them a couple of times though and I'd probably run an airstone since the higher temperature will decrease the oxygen level.
Airstone and an aquaclear 50 will both be running. Nobidy to feed them though.... I have a feeling the glowlights will end up frog food as they are small.
We are trying to get the temp to 86. We are leaving in the morning so heres hoping we get it stable soon!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
Airstone and an aquaclear 50 will both be running. Nobidy to feed them though.... I have a feeling the glowlights will end up frog food as they are small.
We are trying to get the temp to 86. We are leaving in the morning so heres hoping we get it stable soon!
I think they will survive that long without food, but I'm not positive. The problem is that the increased temperature will also increase their metabolism. However, I don't think they will survive ich for 10 days so I think the choice is obvious.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I think they will survive that long without food, but I'm not positive. The problem is that the increased temperature will also increase their metabolism. However, I don't think they will survive ich for 10 days so I think the choice is obvious.
Yea. Well thanks hopefully it will work out.

Tags
ich, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com