Please Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I woke up this morning and saw my male convict chasing and attacking the female. I put him in a kritter keeper inside the tank. He's been in there all day. She isn't hurt or anything and is eating. How long should I keep him in there?

Same just started with my Platys. Seasonal, maybe? And what other fish do you have in the tank? Is she clamped? Geez, as I write this, my male is chasing a female like she is food.

Hmm, well, is she eating? I say keep the male in the KK for a day or two and feed him plenty.

Just re read. If she is uninjured and eating, the male is probably breeding with another female in the tank (is he?) or has just established a new , larger territory and is defending it.

My male convict also kept chasing my female. I woke the next morning to find her finless and dead. I witnessed him beginning to attack my Jack Dempsey, who promptly ripped him to shreds. Maye it is just Convict madness?

They do that. They are mean fish. lol

As long as the female has a means of escape and refuge with decor, she should be ok. Do you have a tank to move the fry to? He may be ready to spawn, but she isn't because she is still brooding. Maybe?

Sometimes mates will stress each other like that, I catch my female JD's pressed up alongside the filter intake next to the tank glass every now and again. If the fish looks injured or if it continues then I would separate them with eggcrate or separate tanks.

It sounds like it's definitely time to move the fry out also, that could be it.

I would move them and be prepared for daily water changes. Move some media over and you'll minimize how long. You'll need to start rehoming them soon I would think.

Have you asked at your LFS? Is there a local aquarium club? Not sure what to tell you honestly... a prolific pair of kribs can consume quite a lot of tank space.

Is there a club somewhat local to you? Last resort... craigslist I guess. If you were local to us, I might be interested in a few.

Back
Top Bottom