Pleco (camoflauge or dying)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nfeagle5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had this pleco for like 1.5 years and i just switched my tank to sand. I noticed that his color has changed and is almost the exact color of the sand. What i dont know however is if this is supposed to happen and if he might be dying. He is acting his normal self but with all the discoloration im not sure what to do. I put him back in my 20g and his coloring is back to normal (within 5 mins).
Somebody help me out
TIA

If he is still acting normal, the coloration is probably just due to camoflauge. You might want to keep an on him just in case he is stressed.

plecos do camoflauge themselves...I agree with Roger...keep an eye on him, but don't get too worried over this.

My plecos change colors depending where they are in the tank. I have natural gravel and when on the bottom they are sandy colored. When they are on the driftwood they are almost black. Pretty cool.

Think of how much fun this will be! You can always play "find the pleco"!! It's a great game, I play "find the flounders" all the time. :wink:

I find my plecos often change their hue according to the colour of the surface they are glued too. Alas, when on the glass they do not become transparent. Now this may be a stupid question, but are there any issues with keeping Plecos in tanks with sand. I ask this because I always see particles of sand on my Pleco's topside and hope he isn't inhaling the stuff. This phenomenon happens to no other fish including my other three Plex. Jeff

Most plecos come from muddy river bottoms, they're used to sucking up dirt and stuff, usually they just pass it right out through their gills and it doesn't bother them.

Back
Top Bottom