Pleco fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ~4" albino pleco which has been doing well up until now. It is still acting normally, but I have noticed some dark tissue on the edge of his rear-left side fin. I hope he just damaged it on the lava rock in my tank- sometimes he tries to squeeze through spots that are too tight. Could it be fin rot? If so, is there a risk of it being transmitted to the other fish in my tank? How should I treat it?

Thanks!

-J

Does it have a white edge to it? If so, its likely finrot. If not, it sounds more like a minor wound. My plec gets rips in his tail/dorsal once in a while, being the graceful creature he is (not!). I usually add some Melafix; while its not enough to treat serious infections/disease, it does help heal minor wounds.

Can you get us a pic so we can be sure its nothing major?

Thanks Allivymar-

There wasn't any white edge, so I just left the plec alone and kept an eye on it. It looks like it's pretty much cleared up already.

-J

Yay :)

Plecs heal up rather quickly I've noticed. My guy had a big split fin when he got moved to the 55g. It was gone in a coupla days.

Back
Top Bottom