Pleco just died and I'm wondering why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried letting water sit in a bucket for 15 minutes with a dose of prime? It doesnt hurt your bio filter, but it takes a bit more time.

I find it hard to believe it instantly dechlorinates the water. No matter what, chlorine is going to get sucked up by your biofilter and kill the bacteria before it can safely dechlorinate. I use stresscoat+ from api, but I used to use prime. I use the bucket method for both without any losses...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you tried letting water sit in a bucket for 15 minutes with a dose of prime? It doesnt hurt your bio filter, but it takes a bit more time. I find it hard to believe it instantly dechlorinates the water. No matter what, chlorine is going to get sucked up by your biofilter and kill the bacteria before it can safely dechlorinate. I use stresscoat+ from api, but I used to use prime. I use the bucket method for both without any losses... Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I've seen experienced fish keepers just put the water hose in the tank direct from the tap and drop some de chlorinator in the tank as it's filling up. What Ive done for years is to put a few drops in the bucket then fill it and right to the tank it goes. This has worked for me but now I'd be curious to know how long does it really take for the water to be fully de chlorinated
By the way I use an API product but I think I'll try Prime next, lot of discus breeders use it.

I've seen experienced fish keepers just put the water hose in the tank direct from the tap and drop some de chlorinator in the tank as it's filling up. What Ive done for years is to put a few drops in the bucket then fill it and right to the tank it goes. This has worked for me but now I'd be curious to know how long does it really take for the water to be fully de chlorinated
By the way I use an API product but I think I'll try Prime next, lot of discus breeders use it.
it weird tho how i never had a problem before im baffled :(

it weird tho how i never had a problem before im baffled :(
Maybe check if your town water supply has been altered recently, I know my town/city will go ballistic with the chloramines when doing any major sewer work, which by the way prime deeestroyss! Love you prime:)

Maybe check if your town water supply has been altered recently, I know my town/city will go ballistic with the chloramines when doing any major sewer work, which by the way prime deeestroyss! Love you prime:)

really i might do that but i want to test doing prim first before i put water back in to see if my last swordtail servives the nexted waterchange

i was so happy that my tank was finlly getting more fish but kinda gone the other route :( i lost more fish then gained i miss my pleco

Back
Top Bottom