Pleco may have Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alswel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Pleco has a white spot on the body that sort of looks like a white pimple. I have a 10 gallon tank with Zebra Danios and Neon Tetras and one Pleco. What is the best medication for ick? I'm worried about my biofilter being affected by the medication and I know Tetras are sensitive to some medications. The water quality is fine as I test it frequently. Also what is the best food for Pleco's? I was told algae wafers by one person then told cucumber or zucchini and no wafers by another. What do you recommend? :?

You can read about ich and the different treatments here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

As for feeding your plec, algae wafers are fine. You will want to vary his diet with the cucumbers and zucchini (there are other veggies you can use, but spinach is not recommended; not the right nutirents) from time to time (mine gets zucchini slices once a week). You will also find the plec will likely vacuum up the other foods which are put into the tank; most contain some spirulina (an algae) and plecs DO require some protein, especially as they get larger, although the common plec is generally an herbivore. If you don't have one yet, you'll need to get some driftwood; herbivorous plecs require the lignin fiber in wood for digestion.

I read your info on ick and greatly appreciate the advice. I'm still watching my pleco to see if any more spots develope and his spot doesn't look like ick compared to the pictures you have but it's hard to tell. Should I add salt to the aquarium as a precaution and give my Pleco a salt bath? Thanks for the great feeding advice also. :D

If it doesn't look like ich, I'd hold back for a day or 2. Its possible it could be a bacterial infection; better to be sure and treat properly. I wouldn't recommend a salt bath for the plec, and adding it to the tank in a lesser concentration really won't do too much. Your best bet is to keep your water parameters pristine (0 ammonia/0 nitrites/>10-20 nitrates) and observe him closely for ANY changes, both in the pimple as well as in behavior. Good luck!

Oh *slaps head* and welcome to Aquariumadvice alswel LOL

Back
Top Bottom