Pleco Not Eating after Head Injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crimsonpython24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I have this pleco that stopped eating after it injured its head. It seems to be starving and stuck to the side ever since -- not going back to the aquarium floor. I dropped Hikari sinking tablets but it didn't went for it. It just kept sticking onto the glass.

bEO81mB.jpg

gqDy3dd.jpg

It could have injured itself while squeezing through one of the decorations in the tank. There is another pleco in the same tank but nothing has happened to it -- so I think I have enough reasons to list out inadequate water parameters.

Speaking of water parameters, both nitrite and ammonia are close to zero. I haven't seen any apparent fin injuries. After it's injured, I gradually pulled the temperature up to 27 degrees Celsius since I've heard that it helps them recover faster.

FYI, it is perfectly fine two days ago and I found it injured yesterday. This is quite a short period so I don't think it's parasite or illness.

Can anyone please identify the problem and, more importantly, tell me how I can save it (make the wounds recover + let it start eating)?

Many thanks in advance.

Well. Im going to have nightmares tonight.

That really doesn't look good. How long have you had it? Possibly an internal injury?

Such a rapid weight loss makes me suspect an internal parasite of some sort. Have you noticed any white or stringy poop?

Do you have driftwood in your tank? It is always recommended to keep driftwood in any tank with a pleco as they eat it and that actually provides most of their fiber intake to help their digestive system. If you don't have any, try adding some, and in the meantime try tempting him to eat with some blanched zucchini. If you have a hospital/quarantine tank set up you may want to move him into that until he bulks back up and the injury on his face heals up.

is that a female bristlenose ? If so you should be adding some greens (algae wafer, zucchini or similar) as well as mentioned drift wood. The wood is needed for it to digest food.

Back
Top Bottom