Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pleco Pimple?

One of my plecos has developed a redish bump under his right eye that is about the same size as the eye. It looks like it is pushing the eye up a little, no longer in alignment with the other, but he still can see from that eye. Also there was no "head" to the bump.
All params are normal, although I have raised the temp to 84% and have used some Ick treatment recently. My female molly has a small case of ick. There is no aqaurium salt in the tank at this time, but could be.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is probably Ich related. By the time one fish shows signs of Ich, it is pretty much a given that your tank and other fish are swarming with various stages of the Ich parasite. This is why just QTing the fish that has Ich generally does not work since the whole tank will start showing infection a few days later. I have seen Ich on a Pleco that looked very dark because of the coloration of the fish itself. Raise the temp over 86F keep and eye on the Pleco.

What are you using for Ich meds?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wish I could tell you. It is in a white bottle with Ick Guard, but I don't remember the brand. It is very blue and does stain. The HOB filter I use has pre-made filters so I can't remove the carbon portion with out removing the whole media. But the media has been in there for 3 weeks, doesn't the carbon stop working after the first week or so? Other than as surface for the bacteria, of course.

Do you think this "pimple" could be an ick infestation/boil? 8O eww! If that is the case, should I just put him out of his misery? I thought that once a boil forms with ick, that it kills.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is why just QTing the fish that has Ich generally does not work since the whole tank will start showing infection a few days later.
This had not been my experience. Since Ich is always there (reasons detailed in "An Ich thread, for the sake of discussing Ich" under General Discussion), stressed fish will be more susceptible to it. I strongly encourage you to put the pleco in QT.

As for you pleco, I have no idea if it is Ich related, these may help--
Freshwater Diagnostic Charts:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.clubjungle.com/fish_chart.pdf

BTW--is your Mollie better?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

"This had not been my experience. Since Ich is always there, stressed fish will be more susceptible to it. I strongly encourage you to put the pleco in QT."

I have seen a few people take their one Ich infested fish, QT it, then 10 days later other fish in the main tank get it before the fish in QT is even finished with treatment. I reccomend high temp treatment for the whole tank as a precaution :P

Ich is not always there, once you clear up any Ich that may be in the tank, it will not come back unless you re-introduce it

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time for my thoughts! LOL

Chances are that "pimple" is not an ich infestation of the skin, but an infection aka a cyst. Because the ich parasite burrows into the skin, it leaves tiny open wounds all over the fish, and the fish can easily pick up an infection. I've never seen ich parasites clump into a pimple. I strongly suggest isolating him and treating him with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Which leads me to my next thought:

Carbon in the media. There is no guarantee the carbon isn't working anymore. And what that means is the carbon has absorbed and adsorbed as much as it can. Carbon is able to let go of stuff as well, so its quite possible much of the meds were intially not in the water column. Its one reason you need to isolate that guy; you need to use filter media with no carbon for the antibiotics to work. Next point:

Most ich meds are deadly to scaleless fish like plecs. Is the stuff your using made for scaleless fish? Another reason to get that guy out of there if its not.

As for ich itself, grimmie is right. Once ich is eradicated from a tank, its gone unless its reintroduced. And Menagerie is right in saying stressed fish are more susceptible to it. Thing is, any fish with a reduced immune system is susceptible. If its removed, successfully treated and put back in the tank, its likely going to be infested again as the ich parasite is still hangin out in the original tanks. Its why ich is one of those fish diseases where its best to treat the entire tank.

If you haven't read the article I wrote about ich, check the articles section; its in there

Lastly, I'm moving this to the FW fish disease section.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, the pimple has faded away with no effect to the fish. That I can tell anyways. It just started to un-swell and the redness went away as it shrunk.
Just thought I would update. Finally I had a fish that lived!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear that! Did you treat the pleco with anything, or let mother nature run its course?

Old 03-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just let mother nature run its course. I had no choice, so I just crossed my fingers, changed the water fanatically and waited. Also my female molly lost her ick and no other signs of badness right now. My male molly bit it, or more accurately the gourami bit him! RIP
Some good news, with all of the water changes, my husband is now seriously thinking about letting me get a python! The tank is about 40' away from the kitchen sink, we use a 4 gal bucket for bad water out and gallon milk jugs for water in. Very labor intensive!
I did just find a pet store that actually has anti-biotics and the widest variety of additions I have seen! I was like a kid in a candy store! I did pick up a wide spectrum anti-biotic that says it works on ick as well as a large list of other stuff. But I did not buy much, budget and did not want to buy stuff that I did not know if it really was neccessary.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Reading this thread, I realized that this situation sounds exactly like the one that I am/was in. I noticed that my common plec had an inflamed, reddish (almost bleeding) spot on his underside near his fin. I had no idea what it could be, as my tank had been healthy for a very long time. I have been trying to keep an eye on him and from the looks of it, the thing has subsided ::phew::. I never noticed any signs of the other fish being affected or showing any signs of trouble, so I decided not to QT or medicate the poor plec. After a couple of weeks, the cyst went away. I know this should be under diseases but are there any ideas as to what this could be?

Ryan

P.S.
Ich is non-existent in my tank, so that can be safely ruled out
5 head-taillight tetras
1 blue gourami
1 dwarf (peacock) gourami
1 gold gourami
1 pleco
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:38 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Blue Skies--it could have been a number of things.
This happened to me: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...asc&highlight=

Luckily your pleco is well, as is mine.
BTW, check out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...=21&pCatId=882 to learn about gouramis.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #12

Thanks so much for the heads up on the problem. I snuk up on my plecolaplostomus(hehe that sounds like a sneeze) today while he was happily squishing the particulates on my glass, and noticed that his spot is totally gone. This made me happy. I will definitely keep watching him though.
Also, I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally appreciate the info link on the Gourami. Much to my happyment, I have discovered that my new guy is indeed what is called a "Gold Gourami." This is a variation of the blue.
One problem, though. I have noticed that this new gourami has decided to stay near my heater, in the corner of the tank. My brain told me that perhaps the water was too cold for the little guy but the tank temp is 77-78 (just right in the comfort zone). What could be the causes/remedies for this. He's not sick, his color is fantastic. Could it simply be that he doesn't have enough places to hide? Thanks for the help,
Ryan
5 head-taillight tetras
1 blue gourami
1 gold gourami
1 pleco
Old 03-25-2004, 01:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Could it simply be that he doesn't have enough places to hide?
I don't keep them, but I believe Gouramis like little territories. How is the tank set up? If there is not much decor/plants (fake or real), the newbie may be stressing.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #14

Set up goes like this: on the floor (of the tank, of course) there are 2 caves and several plasti-plants of varying heights. I have one live plant that has long droopy leaves which would look quite appealing to me if I happened to be a fish (namely, a Gourami). But thats about it. The floor isn't crowded by any means, I suppose it could use some additions. I wont ask for suggestions here, its not the right category. But Like i said, the little rascal (newbie fish) is doing great with color and state of his fins and behavior. He comes out when it's time to eat and everything, but then when things calm down, he just goes back to being behind the heater. Interesting, yes?
Thanks, Ryan
5 head-taillight tetras
1 blue gourami
1 gold gourami
1 pleco
Old 03-27-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
kansaschick08

whats ich?? or ick?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read this article kansas; it will answer all your ich questions: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=32

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He comes out when it's time to eat and everything, but then when things calm down, he just goes back to being behind the heater. Interesting, yes?
Sounds like that is his chosen place.

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com