Pleco Problems again. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my pleco that was trying to jump out of the tank has given up on his escape attempts, but now Im noticing these two white spots on his belly. You can see them in the picutre. The picture makes it look as if there is a hole too, but there isnt.

There two spots are very flat, and white...wish a few very tiny specks of what looks like blood. Im very worried about this guy, but it his behaivor has not changed, and he does not do anything that indicates to me that he is in pain.

Ok, Im an idiot...posted the image 3 times..each one is the same and I have no clue how to take the two extras down. :(

Are the white spots actually spots, or does it just look like the skin changed color?
Plecos with get white areas on their bodies when they are overly stressed....

I will take a new picture tomorrow, the lights are out so I dont want to stress out everyone in the tank by turning them back on. I do think I need to clarify, I guess Id say the pigment is lighter...much lighter in the area. I did read your thread, but I think from the way you described it, these are two different conditions.

As for higher levels of stress, that is a possibility. I moved things around in the tank before the spots showed up, and now that I think about it, he has not been hiding in the new cave that I created. I did however just add an old PVC pipe that I had hanging around after reading the suggestion about increased stress levels.

Thanks for all of your help so far on this. You guys are great as usual.

Well, if it is stress related, a calm atmosphere will help. My concern is with
a few very tiny specks of what looks like blood

Who else is in the tank? How large is the tank?
OH!!! What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites...)?

Ok, here is an attempt at another picture, I think kthis one is better.

In the tank there are 5 ottos, 4 clown loaches, 2 coreys, an angel, a geophagus jurupari, a bala shark and an upsidedown asian catfish. Ive seen the geophagus chase around some of the smaller fish, but nothing agressive, and he has never attempted to mess with the pleco.

Ive been checking tank parameters religously ever since the tank was established and there isnt an instance in the last 4-5 months that they have changed.

WARNING!! As that geophagus jurupari ages, it will eat whatever it can catch and fit in it's mouth. That fish does not belong in that tank.

As for your pleco, it looks like a physical wound. Either a scrape from a sharp piece of decor or a bite from a tank mate. It should heal just fine; however, an infection may develop in the open wound. Just keep an eye on him!

Interesting, Ive read up on him and spoke to 3-4 people who assured me he was actually ok in this tank. From what I heard/read they were actually much more peaceful than the rest of the species. But I will still take that into consideration and keep a close eye on him and his behavior.

Is there something that you might reccomend to treat the water with to reduce the chance of infection? Also with the way that wound looks I agree with the assumption that its a scrape or something...but I dont know if it explains what the other smaller yet similar white spot to the side of it is.

Oh, and you certainly couldnt be suggesting that SOMEONE took a bite out of him....Ive never been THAT hungry! :)

And again, thanks for all of your insightful advice, it is MUCH appreciated!

bmg....someone as in one of your fish....something as in a decoration :)

Of course I wouldn't suggest that you would eat your fish LOL :wink:

Anyways, just keeping up with regular water changes should keep your pleco safe from infection.

As to the white spot to the side. If you are talking about the larger area of white below the sores, it looks stress caused. But..if it isn't anywhere else on your fish, that probably isn't the case. Not to sure about that... Anyways, hope everything works out!

When my pleco was ill, we treated with antibiotic and Melafix (in order to prevent secondary infections). Melafix would be okay in the whole tank and would keep down the chances of infection.
A scrape could cause both spots. In the summer I often end up with odd scapes--walking into various things that are uneven. In my case, I'm thinking of branches that would leave two marks--one branch may be larger than the other and cause a worse scratch. For the pleco, I don't know what's in your tank, but you may want to run your hand over the decor (gravel too) and see if you feel something sharp. File it down if you do find it.
As for the geophagus jurupari, my fiance had a bad experience. He caught it eating his algea eaters (CAE, SAE I don't recall)--they wouldn't move and they fit in his mouth (the perfect snack :wink: ). I will also add that my fiance had a couple upside down catfish and they ate up all the cories. It is possible that he simply had terrible luck with those particular fish.
From experience, I know and have seen the majority of fish will eat whatever fits in their mouths :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom