Pleco won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any advice or tricks to get apleco to eat? He is a blue Eyed lemon about two years old... His favorite things are zucchini, Thera-a pellets, normal catfish pellets, all of his food gets a little garlic guard from SECHEM soaked in
He's really not eating any of it, he could easily mowed down a piece of zucchini in one night there would be nothing left..... I put in a piece of zucchini every night for a week didn't touch it
---- he has to be eating something because he's not dead

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never see mine eat either, it's growing and fat as John candy so it has to be eating something. . I think they just go full scavenger mode at night and eat whatever"s there for scraps.. i throw in shrimp or krill pellets at night once a week and a veggie wafer another night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Pleco

Hello bk...

Fish get tired of the same diet. Like we would. I have several of these guys, one that's an 8 inch small horse. He seems to thrive on frozen foods. I feed the rest of the fish a variety of frozen, cubed food from San Fran Bay. They have several kinds and even some for the vegetable eaters that like a little meat sometimes. My Plecos like a little flaked food from Cobalt along with the usual algae wafers and such from Akari and Tetra. Freeze dried tubifex is a treat. I also feed a little minced garlic from Spice World. It's high vitamin and has some natural antibiotics.

B

While I agree with b in theory... i feel there is no actual way to determine whether or not fish require variety. Can't hurt though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine love cucumber, doesn't matter what time I put it in, he's scoffing it along side the fish, also fresh crushed garlic, he will clean up what the fish leave.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Mine have never eaten cuccumber -
I have New Era Pleco wafer too. Seems to like that. Well, I still haven't seen him eat. (I have literally watched him eat for 2 years)
I guess we'll see
I keep changing it up ........

garlic is good for plecos? like a small chunk?

I just got one two days ago and he is already showing his personality! Scared of me at the moment, even got to see him flare!!! Didn't know they did that!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Garlic is a natural anti parasitic, antibiotic, antiviral -- but it just plain tastes good!! It stimulates fish sense of smell and they want to eat it.. Garlic Guard by Seachem is a great product. Just soak food it in for couple seconds.
You can use regular garlic just make sure it is WATER based in the jar
Thera-A pellets has garlic in it. One of my fish favorite food.

Back
Top Bottom