Plecos more susceptible to ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I was browsing the LFS today in search of a 'Rubbernose' pleco to clean up the algae in my tank. And noticed that all of them had ick or what looks like ick anyways ( white spots ). My wife has a rubbernose pleco in her tank and it cleaned the tank in one night. However it looks like it has ick as well, are they just speckled or are plecos more susceptible to ick? I figured they might be since more are bottom feeders.

I'm at the end of the heat treatment in my barb tank so I am cautious about putting more ick in my tank when I am a couple days from completely ridding it from my tank.

Plecos can be succeptible to ich, not moreso than other fish such as loaches IMO. I do agree that plecos are more succeptible than other fish that have scales. Plecos are also less tolerant of salt than scaled fish. I wouldn't add the pleco to your tank without QT'ing him and treating for ich first.

I've not really noticed plecos being more susceptiple to ich either, but have seen many that are infected. Perhaps its jsut the store you are getting the fish from?

Could be the store.. They are a pure Aquarium store so I would expect healthy fish. I've bought numerous fish there for my wifes tank ( guppies & tetras ) and haven't seen an ich outbreak on them yet.

And yes I already QT the pleco and treating him for ick in a seperate tank. I am almost finished with the heat treatment in my main barb tank!

Wish all stores were that good :)

All it takes is one fish to infect all the others, so I imagine even the greatest of fish stores has an ich problem every once in a while.

Best of luck with the treatment.

Back
Top Bottom