Plecos won’t eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhoenixKoi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On Friday I went to the pet store to pick up some plecos for my 75 gallon tank. I do have goldfish in there but they are only in the tank for 4-5 months of the year and then they go out into our pond. Right now I have the two Snowball plecos in a 3 gallon quarantine tank so I can get them eating and see if they have any illnesses. I know it’s common for fish to not eat for a while when you first bring them home but we would like to get them eating as soon as possible because they were already skinny. I have been putting in some high quality wafers in every day. I know that they don’t normally eat for the first day but I put some in anyways and I have been for the past few days but non of the food ever seems to be touched. This isn’t really an emergency but they haven’t touched their food even if I put it next to them. If they don’t eat by 5:00 today I’m going to soak them in garlic water and see if that works. Is there anything I’m doing wrong? And how do I get them to eat other than the garlic method?

Did they start eating? I never bother trying to feed new fish until day 2 anyway so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just getting settled.

Thank you for the help. One died but the other is doing a lot better and is in the big tank

Back
Top Bottom