Poll on Ich Treatment Methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you treat FW ich?

• Heat Treatment (86F) only?

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Medications only?

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Salt only?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No preferred method?

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • A combination (heat/meds/salt)?

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other Method?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Still open! So far pretty much neck and neck still but need more votes.

On the mobile app (iphone anyways), you can go to the web view (by clicking the 3 dots in the top right of the screen). Then you can enter the option of your choice.

Well I went in web view and got a "you may not vote on this poll"

I'm on mobile and I left my opinion so add +1 to mixed? Like jesse I only use medication if I need to.

Caleb

I've always treated Ich as a symptom of a bigger problem instead of a problem itself. Usually a water change and some meds would clear things up rather quickly HOWEVER, the best meds I used to use are no longer available ( sadly) and thankfully, I haven't needed to deal with ICH in years ( Mostly because I had no fish for those years ;) :lol:). After some recent research, it looks like heat alone could cure the problem of the parasite but if it is a symptom of a bigger problem, more digging would need to be done to see WHY the fish got sick. Something is stressing them to get sick. Address that before doing whatever you need to do.
Assuming the fish is sick because it was acclimated into a QT tank incorrectly, I would medicate over using heat.
Assuming it's a main tank and the fish got sick from a dramatic change in temp ( usually during a water change) and I would go the heat route ( assuming all in the tank can handle the heat) to ensure that nothing parasitical survives in the main tank. ( This also applies to if you add a sick fish directly into the main tank without QT first. :nono:)
Assuming the fish is the victim of attack by another fish, I would remove to a hospital tank and use salt and heat for the first few days then medication to get rid of the parasite keeping an eye out for secondary infections which would require medication.

So I chose the combination in the poll but I wouldn't necessarily use all the methods at the same time under all circumstances. (y)

( FYI: Quick Cure is my "go to" med now. ;) I don't know if it is still on the market everywhere. I've heard rumors. :whistle:)

Fish don't get ich from temp differences. If ich isn't present in the water they won't get it, period, regardless of temp differences. I haven't seen ich in over 20 years, in my tanks, and I have had situations of large temp differences.

Fish don't get ich from temp differences. If ich isn't present in the water they won't get it, period, regardless of temp differences. I haven't seen ich in over 20 years, in my tanks, and I have had situations of large temp differences.

I'm sure a tank full of wild fish would disagree. ;):whistle:

Well I went in web view and got a "you may not vote on this poll"

I'm on mobile and I left my opinion so add +1 to mixed? Like jesse I only use medication if I need to.

Caleb

Done - added your vote.

:) looking interesting. I think that's about 17 votes now. If I can get 20 to 25 that's probably not bad. Anyone else??

Will post a new pic of results later on.

I will have to get on my laptop. My vote without getting on the laptop is heat first then heat and meds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will have to get on my laptop. My vote without getting on the laptop is heat first then heat and meds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might be able to vote on web view off the app on mobile?

I'm using the iPhone AA app where I can click on three dots in top right of thread, go to web view and then select a voting option?

Does this work for anyone on app I guess? Curses this new fangled technology.

You might be able to vote on web view off the app on mobile?

I'm using the iPhone AA app where I can click on three dots in top right of thread, go to web view and then select a voting option?

Does this work for anyone on app I guess? Curses this new fangled technology.

I'm on iPhone and it told me I wasn't allowed to vote via web view

Caleb

Crank that temp up and heavy dosage of salts when it comes to cichlids. 99percent of the time it works.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I voted mixed! Although I think a best poll option would be "situational". For example, I have found that platys hate heat so I treat them with salt. Kuhlis hate salt so I either use a lower dosage or treat with heat. Often i treat with raised temperature and salt together And occassionally I'll use meds, mostly for stronger outbreaks. It all depends on what I feel will best fix the problem.

Poll results to date. Up to 19 votes now so I think starting to get some idea of trends. But a few more votes will help! :)

Also if you have never treated ich, you can put down what you would do in the unlucky [FONT=&quot]occurrenc[/FONT]e. It's just a snapshot.

And I can enter votes for you, just post and let us know.

74564-albums13177-picture69253.gif

Back
Top Bottom