Polyfilter going brown very quickly in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Beal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

This is my first post on here, but I thought I would jump straight in!

I have a 56 litre (sorry, I am from the UK, can't think in gallons, but think it is about 10!) tank I intend to use mainly for growing up plants for my other 2 tanks, but also as a hospital/quarantine/breeding tank.

I have been regularly testing it since set up about 6 weeks ago. Plants went in 3 weeks ago. Test results last night were:

pH 7.2
Nitrates - 10mg/l
Nitrites and ammonia=undetectable

I have however picked up snails from a dodgy batch of plants and got hair algae from somewhere. Snails treated initialy with a copper based drug followed by a 50% water change. The odd small one appears which I take out, will probably have to treat properly again soon

Despite the good test results I have a gut feeling all is not well in there. There are a lot of particles in the gravel - I was silly and didn't wash it first and the water is a bit darker than the other aquaria.

I was advised to use "polyfilter" an all singing, all dancing pollutant removing filter disc, to get rid of the hair algae and anything else pollutant wise in there. The problem is it becomes spent (turns a brown colour) after only 3 hours in the aquarium which suggests my suspicions are correct.

Any ideas what is causing this or what to do, I am a bit clueless as the test results are quite good! In addition have pregnant platies I would like to put in there but don't really want to as I am a bit suspicious - would rather loose a brood to the other tank members than both the females due to nasty water!

Any help appreciated!

Paul

Welcome to Aquarium Advice paul :!: :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I can help much myself but I can at least start some investigation and hopefully someone will chime in if we discover anything.

What exactly is the "polyfilter" ? is it a brand name product we might be able to look up or is it a "home remedy" you folks use on your side of the pond? (btw, 56 liters is just over 14 gallons)

Don't worry, we'll get you straightened out.

Welcome to Aquariumadvice Paul Beal :)

Where did the gravel come from? I'm wondering what those particles might be...

I've used "Polyfilter" on this side of the pond. I'm using some right now in a bag on the back of a Penguin 125 Biowheel HOB. Its kind of spendy to change this filter media very often. Its the white, course pad one can cut with sizzors, which can change its colors to brown then to black after it is fairly spent. Hospitals use this same stuff for kidney dialysis filtering. Got a bag at the lfs for about $10.00. :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. The link above describes the exact stuff! It seems as if it should last a bit longer - unless the tank is not too healthy, hence my concern. I am not hoping for a miracle cure, is the solution a few more plants and some patience to let it settle down a bit? The plants that are in there seem very healthy still.

The gravel came from a local fish shop. It was my first visit there and I did ask about washing it and they said I didn't need to. I have since been back and see where my snail problem has come from - their plant and fish tanks are ridden with them! I have decided to only get boxed items from there and not take advice from them!

Cheers all,

Paul

Hiya paul,
The polyfilter that you have works on the same principle as a carbon sponge, what it basically does is obsorb any contaminants or toxic material from your water. It will colour up very quickly on the outside, get a pair of scissors and have a look to see if it has coloured right the way through the pad. I can't remember off hand but i think that it changes differant colours to indicate what it is taking out of the water. i will have to wait until i get some in stock but i think the brown colour is what it should go. I will check up on it this week sometime and get back to you, as for now i would check to see if the brown goes right the way through the pad by giving it a little nip with the scissors.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply.

It goes a light brown colour when placed on the gravel (wedged by bogwood or similar) and a very nasty dark brown when placed inside (below the filter foam) the internal filter. I have read about cutting it with sissors, it is the same all through - after about 5 hours!

Paul

It goes a light brown colour when placed on the gravel (wedged by bogwood or similar)

Is this new bogwood? did you boil it? It could be tannins from the bogwood. That would be my initial theory. New wood can release a lot of tannins, and for several weeks or more. IF that is it, it is not harmful to fish in any way.

quote from website referenced by eykis

"Polyfilter removes:
Ammonia/Ammonium * Nitrite * Nitrate* Copper*Formalin*Chelated Copper * Phosphate * Antibiotics * Amino-Acids * Dyes * Proteins * Toxic Metals* Phenols * Insecticides (including Pyrethrum)"

Tannins are a form of natural dye. I'd bet this is it.

Tannin removal, Fresh carbon in your filter, many water changes, patience. Or remove the bogwood!

The poly filter works great even after it has changed colors. I wouldn't toss it . I have used mine for many months on end with no ill effect. The dark brown detrius on the bottom of the tank is rich in organic material which plants love. Good luck.

I'm with corvus. You have whats called black water. Bog wood comes from bogs which are like giant peat moss mud puddles. Thats how they are perserved. bog wood will leach for a long time. If you like wood but not the color, look for driftwood from saltwater sources.

I'll keep going with the water changes and leave the old polyfilter where is is for a bit.

Thanks all,

Paul

Hiya paul
I'm with the others on this one, i would say that a lot of the colouration is from your bogwood. I have spoken to other customers since my last post and they have told me that there polyfilter colours very quickly but they leave it in there, even though it has coloured up it is still working.

while you're leaving that in, I would still test regularly to be sure none of your levels creep up on you.

Back
Top Bottom