Poorly guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after having a platy with a tumour I now have a guppy with a shredded tail. Water parameters fine and everyone else fine. He's eating and swimming fine and otherwise acting normally. I've just got back from a week away and all was fine when I left. I have noticed occasional bullying from the other guppies, is this the likely cause? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460926098.347798.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you using a liquid test kit. Although the dip stick tests can be used occasionally and be accurate, they are not to be trusted. (I was a proponent after being double and tripple test verified, but lost a tank of fish to inaccurate strips when the same bottle ended up being DEAD wrong!)

The tattering of the tail is often from poor water conditions. Ammonia spikes. But can also be from bullying from other fish.

What are the actual parameters of the tests, and how much are you feeding and changing water?

API liquid
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 10

Weekly 20% pwc

No new fish or new plants in over 2 months. Tank been running for over 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What i use to do with a bully male guppy was drop him in an unheated tank for a few days or a week and then when you put him back he will be more submissive usually.
But it has to be quite awhile....

Back
Top Bottom