Poorly platy =( *PICS ADDED*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, we reported back at the start of April about some organge blobs that developed on one of our sunset platies.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21437&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

They kind of settled down and remained constant, but now the fish has a very rigid tail and is becoming worryingly thin. She seems to have 5 or small blobs visible under he scales on her left side.

Now, what has made us even more worried she has something white sticking out about 2mm of her tail fin on her right side. I am concerned tat she may have a parasite or something. I wil hopefully have photos tomorrow but if anyon can offer any advice i'd appreciate it.

We've not added anything to the tank recently and we have 25 beautiful healthy fry and tow other platies that are doing just fine.

My fiance thinks it is just a discoloured scale, but i am not so sure.

Any ideas?

Jon&Liz

Hm...I am hoping by posting this and bumping it up some that others will see and respond.

The white could be a parasite, could be a simple growth (well not simple but..). If you could add those pictures, I'm sure that could help. If the fish is not eating, that is a sure sign that something is wrong. Until then, good luck! :wink:

Thanks DevilishTurtles, i will be getting thephotos for you all today.

Menagerie, you are full of useful links! :D

After having a look around them i found this one: The symtpoms are pretty much accurate. I will get some photos comparing the two females in shape too.

Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled–with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and “pop-eye.”
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans.

Will report back later

Again, all the links are bookmarked :wink: thanks

OK, i continued to read on on another site and answered a few questions and i came up with this ... again:

Tuberculosis
Tuberculosis is a very dangerous, highly contagious disease that can quickly destroy all fish in an aquarium with little advance warning.

Symptoms include:

loss of appetite and severe weight loss
arched backbones
pale colours
tumors and open wounds
inflammed skin
clamped fins
bulging eyes

Teatment is very difficult and often unsuccessful. Once external symptoms start to show, it is usually too late for a cure. All fish should be removed to a bare hospital tanks, with the visibly affected fish placed in a separate bare tank. Both tanks need to be treated with a strong anti-biotic. The original tank needs to be stripped and disinfected. The substrate must be thrown away.

Is this really what i need to do? The tank is way too settled to start diggin all the gravel out, I also have 25ish strong fry, over two months old and 2cm in length. Am i just paniking? Will get photos as soon as i go over to my fiances house as that is where the fish are.

Ok, here are the photos. The other female platy has developed a dark scratch abover her head and am a little concerned about it. She looks large enough to be giving birth again soon as well.

We've bagged up the fish individually and am taking them to our LFS for their opinion, the fish that is very sick has not got the white object protruding from her fin today, all the other blobs are still internal and non of the other fish are displaying symptoms.

Any thoughts anyone.

I was afraid it maight be fish TB when I read this post. Since most of your fish are still strong, start treating with Kanamycin. My concern is for the fry--how old are they?

With your fish not all dropping dead, it can also be fish Herpes.

It will have all the same symptoms (tumors, white patches, kinkedd body)
but is not as fatal. They die once they are so disfigured swimming is impossible or stress gives em dropsy.
But it is untreatable and highly contagious. :?
Lemme find a link....

Thanks guys.

We took the fish in question down to our LFS this afternoon, and he said straight away that it was parasites. The way she was acting was just like she had no energy, and all the nutrients she needed were been taken by the parasites. She must of picked them up when they were being bred as we had them when they were around 6-7 months old.

To answer your question Menagerie the fry we have are varying ages, from almost 7-8weeks to 1-2weeks and they are all very strong, always swimming about chasing each other, fighting for food and continuously being nosey :D and they all have brilliant bright colours.

The poorly fish, named One Of The Frankettes (we had 1 male 2 females so we called them Frankie and the Frankettes :p )

With regard to the other female platy we will be treating her with some antibacterial liquid.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated. Atleast it turns out that it was not more serious than parasites

Jon&Liz

That's good. Fish TB is highly contagious. Hopefully, you can get rid of all the parasites before the other fish become infected. What will you be treating the tank with?

Back
Top Bottom