Poorly tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pvtdgrif

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
Until this evening I have run a very trouble free 30g tank with 10 assorted tiger barbs and 1 BN Plec. Around 3 hours ago I found 1 tiger barb stuck up to the intake of my filter which has a fine plastic grill to stop things getting sucked in. I separated it in a breeding net as there are no signs of illness and I guessed it was just shock. In the last 3 hours it hasn't shown and signs of improvement and although still alive, it is now laying motionless against the side of the netting and 10 minutes ago was floating on it's side on the surface. If i go to pick it up or touch it, it doesn't have the energy to get away. Does anyone know what it is or things to look for I may have missed?
Thanks,
Matt

The breeding net is to stop it getting sucked back to the intake again, as when I freed it originally it floated around the tank current and back to the intake.

Tough to say ... A healthy Tiger Barb should have the strength to avoid getting stuck to an intake. Mine swim right up to it and just swim by .. no problems.

Does it look like it had it's fins nipped? Could've been injured, attacked ... etc. How are the other Barbs? If they're ok behaving as usual, it may just be it's time. To be safe ... test your water parameters and keep it Quarantined.
If by tomorrow it continues in it's condition ... it may need to be put down

It's with sadness I have to report it has just pass away... I guessed in the end that it was ill before it got stuck to the intake. Absolutely no outward signs of illness though. No nipped fins, a good size compared to the rest of the shoal, full of it's usual colour (green TB). water parameters are fine. They are around 8 months old, so a little young to die of old age. Would anyone treat the other fish with a broad spectrum medicine? I haven't mentioned before, but I have 2 f/w prawns in there so am wary of additives that may poison them...

It's with sadness I have to report it has just pass away... I guessed in the end that it was ill before it got stuck to the intake. Absolutely no outward signs of illness though. No nipped fins, a good size compared to the rest of the shoal, full of it's usual colour (green TB). water parameters are fine. They are around 8 months old, so a little young to die of old age. Would anyone treat the other fish with a broad spectrum medicine? I haven't mentioned before, but I have 2 f/w prawns in there so am wary of additives that may poison them...

Sorry to hear about your loss:( ... without really knowing what it died off it may not be worth dumping meds into a tank. Continue to monitor the other fish ... sometimes it just happens.

Back
Top Bottom