Pop-eye and other problems? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhawkercp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So overnight one of my gouramis got popeye. I didn't have enough time to go buy meds for it and lost it. I changed a lot of the water and in the process I think scare another one of my gouramis to death, literally. Now my last gourami has popeye, I have been treating with Maracyn 2 for the last two days (adding the meds after a daily 20% water change). His popeye isn't going away, although I know he may have it forever due to stretching, but now I am noticing little things growing on the inside of the glass. They look like little tufts of cotton hanging on by a single point. Are these related to my gouramie woes or something different and can anyone help me id these pests .

Tank Specs: 29 Gal, 1 (sick) gourami, four mollies, all chem tests in ideal range, well planted (with new bulbs sprouting).

Specific parameters would be helpful. Popeye is not an disease itself rather and symptom of other problems. Treating popeye is best done with regular water changes and some melafix IMO. I had a fish have it's eye bitten off and pristine water changes and melafix and the fish was good in a week.

How long has your tank been set up? Do you have any snails?

Well the gourami didn't make it, but I am continuing the maracyn for a few more days just in case for my other fish even though they seem healthy and lively. I didn't get a chance to test the water this morning before heading off to work but I will let you know specific levels when i get home. I have had the tank about 3 months now (but I have been keeping fish for about 3 years now). I started with a handful of cichlids but what I though were females turned out to be males so I had to donate them to a local store before they got too aggressive with each other. I did see snails in the tank after I purchased my driftwood from my local store but I think the cichlids took care of them. I did see a new snail the other day, but now I can't find it. Will this cause those weird things on the glass?

Back
Top Bottom