Pop eye in my electric yellow cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizakuhn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know if my electric yellow can loose his eye sight from this disease that never seems to go away. I treated him in a 10 gallon for 2 weeks with whatever the petstore recommended. He's back in the 55 gallon and clearly favors that eye. For a while he actually had the same thing growing on it that grows on food when it decays. That went away, the swelling went down, his eye turned all white and now it looks as if there's a hole where the pupil should be. Is there any hope??
P.S. I have what I thought were electric yellow but they're a darker yellow with a faint striping. Are they just a variation of the brighter electric yellow?

*Moved to unhealthy fish forum*

Welcome to AA, lizakuhn!!!

What medication were you using? Popeye is a symptom, rather than a disease; and it sounds like your fish was suffering from columnaris (cotton growth disease). This is bacterial and can be treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Marycin. Slightly reducing the water temp helps too by slowing down bacterial growth.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the eye was permanently damaged by the infection. Your fish probably has reduced vision if any in that eye. It should be OK and able to locate food with one eye.

P.S. I have what I thought were electric yellow but they're a darker yellow with a faint striping. Are they just a variation of the brighter electric yellow?
It's so hard to tell exactly what cichlid you have. Due to the ease of breeding different species together (these fish haven't evolved far enough from each other to prevent that) and no "cichlid registration" there are a lot of cichlid mutts out there.

Back
Top Bottom