Possible gill flukes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone i have a question about my ranchu
after feeding he gasps for air (surface and air from the airataor) and he is holding it in him and "chewing" it before spitting it out. i noticed he is the only one doing it, also sometimes he rams himself in the glass
i searched the internet and the closes thing i got was gill flukes.
iam not sure about this so im asking people who are "PROS" at this. TIA

Note: parameters are tolerable 0am 0 10 and they are 4 fishes, currently housed in a 20+ tank waiting for my 4ft tank.

Well, I don't know much about gill flukes, but I am hoping this bump will get someones attention and they can be more help. Good luck! :)

thanks dkpate, its driving me crazy. i cant see any physical signs of flukes in him
maybe he's just playing lol

Okay, I'm that friend :lol:

I have dealt with "gill flukes" which actually turned out to be something different. Gill flukes are nasty because you can't actually see the problem, just the symptoms (gasping, flashing against glass/decorations).

If they really are gill flukes, you won't be able to see anything on the fish. However it could still be a few other things. I medicated twice for gill flukes because the only symptom I saw was flashing, but now it turns out I appear to have a bacterial or fungal issue.

For true gill flukes, praziquantel is good medicine. I used praz-tastic, it's 100% pure powder. In conjunction with this I would also used melafix and pimafix. For instance, my bacterial issue has seen massive improvement with melafix, but I didn't know to use it until the problem got really bad and I could see a bloody sore on my fish :(

Best of luck marcus!

Back
Top Bottom