possible ich..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
It seems like my preganant guppy has some ich. Only one spot showing on her lip. I've raised the temperature slowly and now I'm at 84 degrees. Everyone seems to be doing fine except one of my neons is starting to show some strange symptoms. It's starting to swim upside down. Is the water temp to high for him?

@rt

Did you add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit? Swimming upside down is usually a sign of swim bladder issues. Try feeding some frozen mushed peas to the neon. Keep raising the temps to 88F

yup...lowered water level and plenty of aeration. What does the mushed up frozen peas do?

I have read that some fish can have issues with there swim bladder. Which will cause them to swim upside down. I don't think the rising the temp to treat the ich would cause a problem. If you raised the temp, with a 1 to 1 ratio. 1 degree a day, he should be ok with it. I found a couple of website, that I hope explain in some deals about the issue. Seems like goldfish are really pron to this disease even tho your fish is not a goldfish, same issues tho.

PROVET HEALTHCARE INFORMATION - Fish Swimming Up-side Down
Glimmering Goldfish Facts on Health Issues (dropsy, ick, fungus, parasites, swimbladder, and more)

The peas help with possible constipation. For severe cases of ich 1 degree a day will not raise temps fast enough to save the fish. I usually recommend 1-2 degrees every 6-12 hours.

Thanks you all for your prompt replies. I have tried feeding the peas but the affected neon didn't eat any. My guppies sure loved them as well as my endlers. My levels are all good so I am hoping it's swim bladder issue. I will continue to raise the water temp 1-2 degrees every 6 hours Zags.

@rt

I'm not convinced you've got ich. New fish? Any recent stress on the tank? I know ich can exist, but it's typically triggered. And typically doesn't start on a fish's lips.

I'm going to take a picture and uploaded in a couple of minutes. It's only one spot on her lips...

Ok, here are couple of pics. Not the best. Perhaps it's just an injury?

picture.php

picture.php

That most definately does not look like ich. I would QT the fish and treat with pima/melafix. It may be an injury or a fungal infection.

I totally agree with Anne I think it looks like a fungal infection and the pima/melafix combo has worked great for me

I don't think that is ich. Ich usually looks like small little white dots all over the fish, and in really bad cases they can be really covered in them.

This link show what it looks like
http://www.cosmos.com.sg/images/ich.jpg

It almost looks like your guppy, bumped herself on a rock or something in the tank. My eel did that along time go, and I just teated it with melafix, it took a couple of month to full heal, but he did get the top of his nose back. I would check like what mom2reds said, if it looks fuzzy or cottony. Then it might be a fungus. melafix works really well on fungus, at least it cured all of my fungus issues that popped up in the past.

hmmm...I can't QT the fish. I only have one aquarium. Can the others tenants tolerate pimafix and melafix combo? She's also pregnant...will this affect her unborn fry?

I'll get some Pimafix and melafix tomorrow. Should I keep the water temp up or bring it back down?

I would say bring the temp back down to normal temp, It won't hurt to dose your whole tank, it won't hurt your biological filter it just might cost more. but if it is a fungus it can be very contagious. good luck

Agreed you can dose the whole tank. As for the temps if you have no flashing in the other fish, you can lower the temps. If your fish are flashing at all I'd keep it up as ich can be hidden in the gills. But if your concerns stems from the one fish, it isn't ich.

Zags my concern stem from the guppy. I noticed the fuzzy spot was getting smaller. I've added the pima/melamix combo tonight. As per instruction, I also took out my carbon cartridge.

Regarding the neon tetra, he seems more alert and more balanced tonight. I did notice earlier the unbalanced neon and another neon were doing a swim around in tight circles, almost like a dance. Any clues?

Back
Top Bottom