Possible ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today started off good acquiring a 55 gallon tank for 100 bucks. Unfortunately it looks like my 30 gallon has ich. I've increased the temperature and will leave it at 86 for 2 weeks. I had to euthanize my 5 neons who were the most covered.a few of my platys have spots on their tails. What else should I do? None of my fish seem lethargic at this point. I'm doing a 50% water change tomorrow. This is my first issue in a year so I'm kinda bummed at this point.

I am going thru ich now, so what I have been told to do, is raise the temp like you, but not just for 2 weeks, for 2 weeks AFTER the last ich spot is seen. Add an airstone or lower your water level if you have a HOB filter to aerate the water, higher temp water holds less oxygen. I do water changes every day, and if you have gravel vacuum it the ich has 3 stages one on the fish, 2 in the water, and 3 in the substrate. Vacuuming and water changes reduce the number of parasites. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Ya I'm gonna do vacuuming every 2-3 days, the temp is slowly increasing, my filter agitates the water really well so I don't have an air stone. I'm also getting a 55 gallon so I'll be prepping for that tank as well. My other fish don't seem to be as bad as the neons were so I'm hoping they'll recover nicely. The funny thing is that all I've added to that tank is a bristlenose and he has no spots on him so I'm confused

Why did you put your tetras down? I had a pretty bad case of ich and haven't lost one fish I am lucky I guess. Anyhow I imagine it takes a day or two for ich spots to develop, so the fish may have had ich but not showed any signs. This is the reason they have quarantine tanks so you don't transfer sick fish to your main tank. Obviously I learned that too late myself lol. Oh yeah some people say you always have ich in your tank just waiting for the fish to stress out. I myself disagree with that because I have stressed my fish out several times and never gotten it until I bought an infected fish. Anyhow all this is just me speculating I am by far not an expert on ich.

I put my tetras down because they were covered and they were not doing so well, they looked skinny and sunken so I just did the humane thing. I did not enjoy doing it but I am not one to let an animal suffer. To be honest this all shot up after I had to change my filter so I think this may have caused a bit of an uneven bio-dome effect. But who's to say. Oh well lesson learned and now I know how to treat it effectively without spending money.

Did you put your old filter media into your new filter?

Ya I washed the new one in tank water with it and left it in the filter. My filter also has a sponge which I didn't touch so there's still bb on that. It's just one if those weird things

Back
Top Bottom