Possible ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No the salt is not nessicarry, but it speeds up the process. And help with the survival of the fish. Everyone has there own way of doing things. My way is using salt, and I didn't lose any fish in the process.

Bowhunterking said:
No the salt is not nessicarry, but it speeds up the process. And help with the survival of the fish. Everyone has there own way of doing things. My way is using salt, and I didn't lose any fish in the process.

It adds a stress coat and help the fish produce better slime. You can treat ich with only salt you can also treat it with just temperature and raising the temp make ich reproduce faster.... That's why it just so much worse within the first few days of treating with temperature. And you can kill ich attach to the fish by doing a salt bath like you mentioned... But I don't think I would use a ten gallon tank for a salt bath. Just a cup or bowl would work fine in my eyes. This way you don't need as much salt to get the same level of salinity

Ich can not live in high salt environment, it aids in killing them, I'm not saying you need it, just saying it help, especially in keeping the fish alive, and ich gets into the tank through bad water conditions, and stress makes it easier for it to attach to the fish.

A fish is capable of fighting off all diseases and parasites as long as the fish isn't stressed. Once it is stressed it is more susceptible to illnesses.
And how does bad water make ich enter the tank? If I have bad water from not doing water change I don't see how a parasite would have just entered into my tank

Disease causes stress!!!!! And bad water conditions allow the parasite to thrive. And you saying that the parasite comes from the animal being stressed, that makes even less sense. I've taken parasitology in college and we went over this parasite.

Bowhunterking said:
Disease causes stress!!!!! And bad water conditions allow the parasite to thrive. And you saying that the parasite comes from the animal being stressed, that makes even less sense. I've taken parasitology in college and we went over this parasite.

It doesn't come from the fish. It is always in the aquarium. Your fish are capable of fighting ich by themselves but when they are stressed (can be from bad water conditions) they can not fight it anymore. You are wrong about raising the temperature to slow down the ich life cycle... So I don't see why you are trying to argue so much I have had ich in a tank with amazing water parameters and it wasn't from introducing a fish or a new filter from my other tanks. My heater wasn't working causing the temperature to flux stressing the fish making them water...

Anyways to the op here so we don't get off topic!
I hope you get everything fix up.

I think what they were trying to say is that stress makes the fish more susceptible to developing the parasite, versus fighting it off. Stress causes a weakened immune system response, which in turn weakens the slime coat, which then makes it easier for the parasite to attach to the fish. There are multiple variables to account for that could change how the parasite thrives in the home aquarium, but one thing holds true: high heat coupled with a healing salt bath will help remedy the situation.

:)

A fish is capable of fighting off all diseases and parasites as long as the fish isn't stressed. Once it is stressed it is more susceptible to illnesses.
And how does bad water make ich enter the tank? If I have bad water from not doing water change I don't see how a parasite would have just entered into my tank

Ich is introduced through infected fish, plants, gravel, etc. the larvae live in the water column, so it's perfectly feasible that water already infected with the parasite could be accidentally introduced. Tap water usually doesn't cause this.

It doesn't come from the fish. It is always in the aquarium. Your fish are capable of fighting ich by themselves but when they are stressed (can be from bad water conditions) they can not fight it anymore. You are wrong about raising the temperature to slow down the ich life cycle... So I don't see why you are trying to argue so much I have had ich in a tank with amazing water parameters and it wasn't from introducing a fish or a new filter from my other tanks. My heater wasn't working causing the temperature to flux stressing the fish making them water...

Anyways to the op here so we don't get off topic!
I hope you get everything fix up.

This is actually inaccurate, ich is not always present in an aquarium. It is introduced. The life cycle starts in the gills where you can't see it; flashing, or rubbing against decorations, is the first indication of a possible infection.

This link basically solved my problem.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

thank You Tippytrompoline, Hobgob, yes i did mix up the temp and life cycle, i was thinking of anouther parasite. I did a whole salt bath on my whole tank because the salt help kill the parasite you can not kill it once it is on the fish, it is in a protective shell sort of thing., the combonation of high salt and high temps makes for a environment that the parasite cant live in, i treated my whole tank. The fact that your fish were stressed from the fulxuating temps made the parasite easily attach to the fish. But that is not where the parasite came from, it had to be introduced to the tank in some way. as tippytrompoline stated. just because i made one mix up dose not mean that everything i staded is wrong, you are just saying what others told you when you asked this same question a year ago...people told you the wrong information, if you look at any wedsite talking aboutt ich it will say exactly what im saying...

Tippytrampoline said:
This is actually inaccurate, ich is not always present in an aquarium. It is introduced. The life cycle starts in the gills where you can't see it; flashing, or rubbing against decorations, is the first indication of a possible infection.

This link basically solved my problem.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

If this is true then how did I get it in a tank with perfect water and I did not introduce any new fish or water. And I didn't contaminate a net or anything. I am super cautious when it comes to thing like that. I don't want anything in my fry tanks/tubs.

Bowhunterking said:
thank You Tippytrompoline, Hobgob, yes i did mix up the temp and life cycle, i was thinking of anouther parasite. I did a whole salt bath on my whole tank because the salt help kill the parasite you can not kill it once it is on the fish, it is in a protective shell sort of thing., the combonation of high salt and high temps makes for a environment that the parasite cant live in, i treated my whole tank. The fact that your fish were stressed from the fulxuating temps made the parasite easily attach to the fish. But that is not where the parasite came from, it had to be introduced to the tank in some way. as tippytrompoline stated. just because i made one mix up dose not mean that everything i staded is wrong, you are just saying what others told you when you asked this same question a year ago...people told you the wrong information, if you look at any wedsite talking aboutt ich it will say exactly what im saying...

A year ago wasn't my first time dealing with ich. More like when I was twelve and we had the 70g set up. And I got my info from websites and my aquarium clubs... But we have to stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

Op how does it all look? What is your temperature at? Do things seem to be clearing up? You should keep treating for at least a week after everything is out of site. Otherwise any eggs in the substrate will hatch and still be able to attach to a host.

Ok. Checked the bag.
1 tablespoon of salt = 15 grams.

Also, tempature last time I check was
87 or so. I tried to turn it up some time around... 3 or so, maybe sooner. Checked the tempature just now. It was like 92 or so.have turned the heater down... Like I said its old and hard to turn. But over the last 2 days I raised it periodically and slowly from 78 to about 86 87ish like I said. I goes I must have over turned it :|

Anyways. Girlfriend did pwc. Added one tablespoon of salt. All the fish seem fine. The one I worried about was the Cory because the high temperatures and salts. But he seems fine.

Lady- yellow Molly
Still seems to be havin trouble with her fin.
I'm trying on getting the temp as close to 87 again and be stable there.

I'll keep you updated.

** edit

The chemical being used. There is only 1

Is aquarium products quick cure
Active ingredients. Formalin and malachite green.

Good news lol I got my tempature back down to 86-87 instead of like 91-92
Also is it true that ich dies at 89?... Because my tank must have been at 90+ for like 4 hours minomal

Good news lol I got my tempature back down to 86-87 instead of like 91-92
Also is it true that ich dies at 89?... Because my tank must have been at 90+ for like 4 hours minomal

I I'm not mistaken it dies at 85, perhaps less, but 85 is the recommended temp at the very least.

If this is true then how did I get it in a tank with perfect water and I did not introduce any new fish or water. And I didn't contaminate a net or anything. I am super cautious when it comes to thing like that. I don't want anything in my fry tanks/tubs.

It is very possible one of your fish was harboring it for a while, but it's immune system was keeping it under control. I'm not positive. But I can promise you that if your water has been perfect, with no obvious changes or mistakes on your part, the only possible way it could have happened was from an accidental introduction, or after a long hibernation type situation in one of your fish. How long ago was the most recent fish added?

Tippytrampoline said:
I I'm not mistaken it dies at 85, perhaps less, but 85 is the recommended temp at the very least.

No it does not die at 85... It just cant reproduce at around there making it die off... Are there any spots left on your fish? Your Molly's fins should be fine. If it has a bit of fin rot the good water and salt will help that come back. And yes it does die around 90 I wish I could find you the link. Maybe I can take a picture from my books saying how it works.

Tippytrampoline said:
It is very possible one of your fish was harboring it for a while, but it's immune system was keeping it under control. I'm not positive. But I can promise you that if your water has been perfect, with no obvious changes or mistakes on your part, the only possible way it could have happened was from an accidental introduction, or after a long hibernation type situation in one of your fish. How long ago was the most recent fish added?

Stay on topic!!! Otherwise mods will close the thread and the op will be very unhappy, but I would have seen the fish flashing... And I don't know maybe after the tank was cycled... So like a long time...

Well good news. Her fin rot is looking better, fewer white dots on the lady. Tempature stable at 86 finally.

All the fish seem to be fine. They were flashing and I had no idea really why they did it. I had to learn about it. I just assumed like humans, fish like to scratch or itch themselves lol. Who woulda known it was parasite related.

And to my suprise even the Cory is relativly lively in the high temp/salt tank seeing as I have almost never put salt in my tank before lol.
I'll be doing another pwc after I get some sleep(I worked 3am-9am). And I'll get back on day by Day keep this up to date so you guys can know what's going on.

I am so appreciative if the help you guys provide. Truly the most informative forums I have ever been on. I just sit and scroll all the time through post and learn so much :). Very enjoyable. Very appreciated. Thanks AA.

Back
Top Bottom