Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Possible parasite?

I Have a male swordtail with what looks like bubbles forming under his skin. There's three white ones and one darker one (could be just bc of where it is.) if anyone has an idea of what it could be can u let me know? And should I isolate him? I have a med called maracyn-two would this help? The photo shows a white bubble and a black spot.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I isolated him anyways till I can figure out what's wrong with him. I just picked him up like two days ago so I may take him back and exchange him. Idk if I wanna risk my whole tank getting a parasite or spend the money to treat him atm.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I have been treating him with some meds in an iso tank. He doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse. Could these simply be tumors or cancer? The petco I got these guys from said they had got some rainbow fish in at the same time that all had a weird fungus on them and it got passed to other fish. Idk if that helps narrow what it is down or not.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Livebearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2 View Post
So I have been treating him with some meds in an iso tank. He doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse. Could these simply be tumors or cancer? The petco I got these guys from said they had got some rainbow fish in at the same time that all had a weird fungus on them and it got passed to other fish. Idk if that helps narrow what it is down or not.
Hello jk...

Medications generally stress fish. I'd never use them. What you can do is add a little standard aquarium salt to your water change water. A little more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons should be enough and run the new water a little warmer than the water in the tank. Change half the tank water every few days for two to three weeks and see how your fish does.

The combination of the aquarium salt, a lot of pure, treated tap water and a little warmth should help.

B

Tags
parasite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com