Possible sick BETTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarist15

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta seems sluggish. I just got him yesterday and he isn't moving very much. Sometimes he goes for air or swims a bit but then he's just resting on the bottom. Also, i cant seem to get him to eat the freeze dried bloodworms. No visible signs of illness except lack of movement.

What size tank? I'd do a water change for starters, sounds like ammonia poisioning. It could also be the betta was sick when you got him but I'd do a water change, remember to add the declorinator and start there.

Whats the tank temp? This is a common problem as bettas really need a temp of 80 degrees. Lethargy is common towards the winter, especially for keepers who have unheated jars, bowls etc...

Also you just got him yesterday. It might take him a few days to become used to his new home. Keep offering him food, but remove it after a few minutes if he does not seem interested.

All good points brought up so far...Also, what size tank is he in? Bettas in bowls often seem lethargic since they have nowhere, really, to swim. I have bettas in 5 gallon tanks and they are always moving around. One of my bettas right now is in some medicine in a one gallon bowl with a little Hydor bowl heater. The med helped, so I'll be transferring him back to the tank today, but in the bowl, he often did lie at the bottom.

You mention you just got the betta yesterday. Bettas often take a few days to get used to their surroundings. Don't be too worried that he didn't eat yet. Keep trying to feed him and get him used to the food that you have for him. The bettas that I get are all fed blackworms at the store, and it takes them a few days to get used to the betta pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms that I have for them. One of my new bettas didn't eat for 7 days. Hopefully yours won't take that long, but don't be worried if it takes him a few days to begin eating. He will take in the food and then maybe spit it out as he gets used to it. Soon he will eat it.

he's gotten better. more movement and he's making a bubblenest. still doesnt seem to be eating. he may be eating a bit when i dont see.

Good news! Keep an eye on your water parameters and do water changes if the parameters get a bit high and he will probably be fine.Also a heater is a good idea as mentioned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom