Possible sick platy's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Mickey Mouse Platy's, orange: in 2, the color has darkened, and they seem to lay at the bottom of the tank. From what I know, they eat just fine. The other 2's color seems to have lightened, they are more active, but still "rest" on the bottom of the tank.

2~What are your tank parameters?
Amonia: 0
nitrites: 1.0
Nitrates: 5.0
PH: 8.4
Temp: 80.5

3~ How large is the tank? 29g long tank, about a month now

4~What type of filtration are you using? Aquaclear 30, dont remember the gph

5~How many fish are in the tank? 4 orange mickey platy's about 1 inch, 4 black mollies about 1.5 inches, 2 black skirt tetra 1 is about an inch, and the other about 1.5, 7 guppies (5 tequila sunrise and 2 black tail, all about 1.25 inches), 1 gibbi pleco about 1.5-2 inches

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
75% 3 days ago with gravel vac

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? the fish have been with us for 3 months now I believe

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? The tank has been completely redone, new gravel, decor, everything. The tank was technically restarted a month ago, as we had to tear it down and start it up in emergency mode.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? mostly tetramin flakes, with a mix of blood worms, lately cucumber is shared with the pleco, but the problem has been occuring since before the cucumber was added to the diet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Bear

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia or nitrites? You shouldn't have any reading of nitrites at all if your tank was cycled. Wonder if ammonia could be coming in that way? Fish usually darken up when exposed to ammonia.

Else, do you run any carbon? Maybe try adding in fresh carbon to see if that helps.

I'm wondering if it is ammonia, The problem is that we were unable to cycle the tank, as we had an emergency situation...I dont have a tank big enough to house this many fish other than the 29, and my 3 year old dumped an entire contents of bloodworms into the tank...we ended up having to redo the entire tank, thus adding fish to an uncycled tank...hence the ammonia reading...the ammonia never passed 1, and was only at 1 for a max of 24 hours. I took the carbon out to run an ammonia pack in the filter, but will add the carbon back since the ammonia seems to be under control. Thank you for the help

Bear

Ammonia stabilizers can give false readings. Based on your nitrite readings I would do daily water changes to keep the nitrite and ammonia down. Remove the ammonia pack and keep testing.

its not really a stabilizer, but a remover. I was intending on removing it and replacing the carbon tonite with the pwc. Thank you for the help and advice all, and you too zagz

The tank was redone a month ago, have you seen nitrite problems since then? Maybe it's just not cycled yet, but maybe it's been there for a long time, dunno. Did a water change help at all?

Back
Top Bottom