possible swim bladder issues! please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cb172635

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 cory cats 2 small albino cory cat 6 raboras 1 swordtail 1 balloon blue ram and 1 golden wonder killifish and 1 small clown pleco

one of my rasboras was sitting on the bottom and staying there.. shoetly after I noticed my biggest cory catfish that I have had the longest out of all the cats is having trouble keeping himself down on the bottom he seems to be trying to hide under things to keep himself down. then I realized the rasbora was swimming irradically in all different directions and is losing its shine and turning slightly black in a couple spots... is swimbladder contagious? is this soon to be my cories fate? or possibly my whole tanks fate, if so how do I treat it? help?!?!?!?!?!

Try and feed it some peas. Blanch them and remove shells, squash them up a bit. Hopefully that may help.
It's not contagious.

It could also be some sort of disease. Sometimes with internal parasites, the final stage before death is organ failure which includes the swim bladder. Hard to know but since so many of them are having issues, I would say it's not swim bladder unless you are overfeeding. You can also soak foods so that they don't expand when eaten. Try and switch up their foods as well.

ok thanks guys i will do both.. should i also treat with some copper safe just to be safe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never used copper safe but I've read it's not great for Cory Cats. I would try and use something else. Depending if it's a bacterial thing or internal parasite, I would use Erthromycin(bacterial) or General Cure(internal) which can be found at Petsmart. If you were going to order online, maybe Prazipro or Metro (Dr. Foster and Smith has it). It's hard to say though.

Back
Top Bottom