Possible Tank Infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wraithie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, we have recently set up a 3ft fish tank, originally running it with goldfish to check that there were no hidden contaminants and to get the biological system cranking. Once we were happy with it the goldfish were returned to the pond outside, the tank drained and refilled with treated water and cichlids were introduced.

We have started with a number of small Cichlids with the plan of spreading them out as they get larger and we get more tanks up and running.
Originally we had 2 electric yellows and 2 mainganos from a smaller tank established months ago, and the next day added a couple more of each variety, some albino cichlids, leleupis, an OB trewvase(spelling), a small venustus, a yoyo loach and 3 small bristlenoses. They are all around 3cm with a couple at a maximum of ~6cm, with plenty of hiding spots in the tank, some potted plants and being fed on floating cichlid pellets.

We noticed a couple of the cichlids were flashing on the gravel but were told that this is typical of Malawi Cichlids, or that they are getting used to new water conditions. Aside from that everyone seemed happy and healthy.

After ~2 weeks we picked up a couple more tiny yoyo loaches, a set of 3 larger clown loaches and some more plants.

Within a couple of days i have noticed that the cichlids are still flashing, but so too are the yoyo loaches (quite a bit) and that one or 2 of the cichlids appear to be a bit less active than they were. I also looked closely at the small albino bistlenose and thought that perhaps it had white lumps on it, though its hard to tell as it is small and lumpy to begin with! Since then i think that the larger ordinary bristlenoses looked a little lumpy and tattered in the fins, and i have been told that one was found dead thismorning.

I am wondering if this is Ich, though the only signs from the cichlids and yoyo loaches are flashing, and one or two being less active- only the bristlenoses have anything remotely visual. We tested the pH as being ~7.4, Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were negligible.

Any help is appreciated, and if it is Ich what treatments would you recommend knowing that we have both loaches and cichlids.

Thank you!

if i were u ill do a partial water change 50% and raise the temp to 86 SLOWLY u could *** water alittle bit warmer when u r doin ur pwc and add some salt but half the dose ive read that it works im doing that except for the salt due to plants

Back
Top Bottom