Possible TB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

I'm in the process of cycling my tank (70 g). I started with 4 small goldfish a few days ago. I lost 1 each of the first 2 days, and then the last 2 were gone this morning. I've done a 25% water change each day, 2 yesterday. Ammonia isn't registering, I'm still waiting on the rest of my test kits to get here.

The reason I'm posting here, is that one of the dead goldies I pulled out this morning had a dramatic spine curvature, so right off the bat I thought fish TB. However, this is the only one I've seen with the symptoms, and since it may have died at any point in the night, I think it may be possible that it was just gas buildup / rigormortis?

I'm doing a super water change right now, but I was wondering if anyone had any input o whether or not I should be worried about TB in my tank.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Ok, after a little more research, I'm pretty convinced it's not TB. The bent spine was really severe, but developed in a period of a few hours, rather than being a result of TB's affect on natural development. Just to be sure though, I'd like to try to treat the tank. I haven't been able to find much info on treating an infected tank, in the absence of fish.

-Can the bacteria survive without an animal host?

-Would a salt/high temp or, salt/low temp treatment be able to kill it off, without knocking out my developing filter colony?

Thanks!

-J

Back
Top Bottom