Possible velvet? Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bpd1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I have a betta with possible velvet

Tank 200l. Fluval 307.
Air stone and further surface agitation with filter outlet.
Temp 25.5. Ph 7 am/ni 0 nitrate <5ppm
Weekly 30% waterchange

1 betta
30 cardinal
8 rasboras
8 cory julii
3 female guppies
2 nerites
5 amano
1 carry

All living peacefully zero aggression

Fed frozen blood worms cyclops and brine shrimp 3/4 days and good flake remainder.

Betta was purchased from same shop I bought other fish. They quarantine fish prior to sale with the exception of bettas. Though possible ich or fungus infection in betta about 3 weeks ago so treated with nt labs white spot and fungus ( contains malachite green) and overnight saltwater. When I seen change in behavior around shoulder couple of white grains and change in behaviour. Everything seemed back to normal until yesterday evening. Continually trying to Bury into the hardscape and the colouration has a hint of brown which leads me to think it might be velvet. What is the best course of action with shrimp and plants? Thanks

Attachments

• 20221027_183908.jpg
    20221027_183908.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221023_223017.jpg
    20221023_223017.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221129_070512.jpg
    20221129_070512.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221129_070107.jpg
    20221129_070107.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20221124_224111_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124_224111_Gallery.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
I need pictures of the Betta from both sides, and if possible, a few pictures of the other fish so I can check them for disease. A picture of the entire tank can sometimes offer information too.

If you can make a 1 minute video of the fish rubbing on objects or moving about that would also help. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here. If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the Betta for?
Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?
When was the last time the filter was cleaned?

-------------------

If you treated the fish with Malachite Green for 5 days, it won't have velvet, white spot, or any external protozoan parasites, because Malachite Green kills them all.

Fish with velvet or any other external protozoan infection rub on objects in the tank. They breath heavily. In the case of Costia, Chilodonella & Trichodina, the fish will develop cream, white or grey patches over part/s of the body.

To check the fish for velvet, shine a torch (flashlight) on the fish after dark when the tank lights are out. If you see a yellow/ gold sheen over part or all of the fish, it has velvet. You can also photograph the fish with the camera flash on, and velvet will show up as a yellow/ gold sheen on the fish in the pictures.

Bettas are usually kept alone in individual containers and that reduces the chance of them catching diseases from other fish.

I need pictures of the Betta from both sides, and if possible, a few pictures of the other fish so I can check them for disease. A picture of the entire tank can sometimes offer information too.

If you can make a 1 minute video of the fish rubbing on objects or moving about that would also help. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here. If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

-------------------

If you treated the fish with Malachite Green for 5 days, it won't have velvet, white spot, or any external protozoan parasites, because Malachite Green kills them all.

Fish with velvet or any other external protozoan infection rub on objects in the tank. They breath heavily. In the case of Costia, Chilodonella & Trichodina, the fish will develop cream, white or grey patches over part/s of the body.

To check the fish for velvet, shine a torch (flashlight) on the fish after dark when the tank lights are out. If you see a yellow/ gold sheen over part or all of the fish, it has velvet. You can also photograph the fish with the camera flash on, and velvet will show up as a yellow/ gold sheen on the fish in the pictures.

Bettas are usually kept alone in individual containers and that reduces the chance of them catching diseases from other fish.

Thanks colin. Unfortunately deleted the pics I had before last treatment

-------------------

Uploaded some more pics on original post. Thanks colin

How many Bettas do you have, 1 or 2?
The fish in the picture showing the entire tank looks like a different fish to the original picture you posted.

The tank looks good but you need some floating plants like Water Sprite, or a Betta log for him to sleep in.

I can't tell anything about the Betta from the pictures.

Are any of the fish rubbing on objects?
If not, it's unlikely to be velvet.

How many Bettas do you have, 1 or 2?
The fish in the picture showing the entire tank looks like a different fish to the original picture you posted.

The tank looks good but you need some floating plants like Water Sprite, or a Betta log for him to sleep in.

I can't tell anything about the Betta from the pictures.

Are any of the fish rubbing on objects?
If not, it's unlikely to be velvet.
Thanks Colin. Will make a video later on him. Bit concerned because im away until friday in the morning and would like to get any meds in befor i leave.That's the picture of him originally about 5 weeks ago hes changed colour around head and gills and had a brown hue yesterday evening. Thats what had me thinking velvet. He's the only betta and have some salvinia. All the other fish appear and are acting normaly. Thanks for the help again

You don't want to be adding medications unless you know what the problem is. If you use medication A and it doesn't treat whatever the problem is, you simply make things drug resistant.

Try and get some pictures of him from the side and I will hopefully be able to see what is going on then.

You don't want to be adding medications unless you know what the problem is. If you use medication A and it doesn't treat whatever the problem is, you simply make things drug resistant.

Try and get some pictures of him from the side and I will hopefully be able to see what is going on then.

I appreciate it Colin. Will get some this evening

This is what I have so far Colin. Doing a water change and stress coat now

Sorry didn't load pics with last post

Attachments

• 20221129_212604.jpg
    20221129_212604.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221129_211522.jpg
    20221129_211522.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221129_211520.jpg
    20221129_211520.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221129_070512.jpg
    20221129_070512.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 10
Pictures are blurry but it doesn't look like velvet. Looks more brown than gold. It could be colour change, which is common if the fish has a marble (koi) gene.

Is the fish eating well and acting normally?

Pictures are blurry but it doesn't look like velvet. Looks more brown than gold. It could be colour change, which is common if the fish has a marble (koi) gene.

You might be right Colin. His behavior this evening is back to patrolling his kingdom and begging for food. Yesterday he was constantly squeezing between every rock which was unusual. I've done a water change and added stress coat. If all looks okay tomorrow I'll find out when I get back after a couple of days. Thanks for your help

Hi Colin. Been closely monitoring the betta since I came home yesterday. Behaviour and appetite seem normal. This the best video I could take. As soon as I approach the tank he will stay at front of tank in shaded area near the surface. He has a rusty coloured patch on the top of his head and his fins have started to have a very slight rusty colour at the ends of the main fin. Thanks again

https://youtu.be/jvaWVX1SFJ4

Back
Top Bottom