Possibly ill cory cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spockl82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post. I have a striped cory cat that I have had for about 4 years. About a month ago, he started laying upside down on the bottom of the tank for a few minutes and then acting completely normal. I looked it up and it seems that is somewhat normal cory behavior and he was eating well and acting normally the rest of the time. Today he is upside down most of the time and has begun floating on top sometimes. He will suddenly swim normally for a few minutes and then go back to being upside down at either the top or bottom. He has no visible bulges, scaliness, flakiness ir discoloration.
It is a 55 gallon community tank with 2 spotted corys, 2 fancy guppies, and 10 neons in addition to this guy. It contains 1 live plant, 2 fake ones and standard decorations.
There have been no changes to the tank before this behavior.
My pH is a little high at 7.6 but it is stable and that is as low as it gets. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all at zero.

Any ideas? My immediate thought would be a swim bladder issue but he doesn't seem to have trouble regulating his position and again, I see no bulges.
Thanks for any help and sorry if I made any mistakes with my post. I did read the rules, but I am slightly frantic so may have missed something.

I'd say possible swim bladder, he doesn't sound like he can regulate his position if he is lying on his side and going upside down. I have many cories and have kept and researched them for years, not saying it isn't possible, but I have never seen that kind of behavior from a healthy Corydoras

He seems to be able to flip and swim, he just isn't. He also seems to be choosing which level to float on. Sometimes he swims to the bottom and lays there and otherwise swims to the top and lays up there. It almost seems like he is just tired. The floating on top thing is something that he just started doing today. Also usually when I have a fish with swim bladder issues, they seem a little bulgy.
If it is a swim bladder issue, is there anything I can/should do?

Well Grampy, my cory cat in question, sadly passed on this morning ?. Thank you for the advice. This seems like a great community, I will be working on my introductory post later today.

Back
Top Bottom