Posted below - strange new developments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am now down to two neons, which is not strange.
However, my last female guppy who is very sick at this stage, has something strange. There is a long white stringy-thing coming out of her butthole (for lack of a scientific term, sorry :wink: ). It's not poop. I have no idea what it is. She's all hunched up. She's never looked big enough to be pregnant.
My male guppy and two remaining neons look good but who knows how long that will last.

What do I do? Wait for them all to die to start all over again, what if the male guppy doesnt' ever die, how long do I wait? Or do I just keep adding more fish. Or do I try and adjust the pH in present tank and add more fish? :( Very confused.

Sorry if I should have posted this somewhere else - I am still learning how to navigate through this place (I'm not exactly a computer whiz).

Thanks.

AJ

*cue Twilight Zone music* ;)

Actually, I think we may be able to clear this up rather quickly with a few questions:

How long is the stringy thing? Is it all white? Does it kinda look like its split at the end?

My guess is (obviously) parasites. If so, you'll probably need to treat em all. Take a peek here for some pics of some parasitical infections and treatments (scroll down): http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Worm

Well actually it doesn't look like anything described in that article.
It is white, it's very wispy and thin looking, I don't remember seeing anything split at the end, I'll have to check when I go home though. It's over an inch long, inch and a half maybe.

Okay - never mind. It's probably a threadworm.

I have no idea what to do now. :?:

Apparently she's not entirely dead, just half-dead. She got stuck in the uptake into my powerfilter and her tail fins got ripped and I think the worm got sucked up into it. I looked for it but couldn't find it. I have her out of the tank now, she should die soon I hope, it's very sad to watch.

I have been reading again and found this, Worms protruding from the anus of a fish are CAMALLANUS.
Also called roundworm.
It also says that severe infections of these worms may result in spinal deformity and possible emaciation.
It also says that it is very common in livebearers. livebearers are very susceptible to this parasite.
The main species of camallanus found in ornamental fish is C. cotti. The adult worm lives in the fish's gut where they feed on the blood.
my book says to treat this problem you can treat it with an Anthelminthic such as Fenbendazole ( available in the form of certain brands of equine worm treatment) the powder form not the paste should be used in an aquarium. it says the aquarium water should be treated at a rate of 2mg/litre and 3 treatments are required at weekly intervals.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom