potential mold problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a nano tank (2.5g) with shrimp in it that's been having problems. The types of shrimp in the tank were RCS and bumblebee shrimp. Unfortunately, the entire population of RCS died off in the tank; I just found what I suspect is the last one today. At least 2 out of 4 of the BBS are still alive from what I can see.

I originally thought that a pH crash might have been to blame. I have Fluval Stratum as the substrate, which states that it promotes neutral to slightly acidic pH. So the substrate dropped my pH from 7.8 down to neutral in less than a week.

I now suspect that I might have a mold problem. Here's a picture of the last RCS I've found in the tank. What's not easy to see from the picture is the white, almost cocoon-like covering the dead RCS has.

I do have Pimafix, which doesn't say it's good or bad for inverts, but claims to be all natural. I haven't used it yet because I'm just now discovering that the problem may be fungal.

After my large water change, what steps would be best for me to take to rectify the situation?

Attachments

• P1020419.jpg
    P1020419.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 84
  • P1020421.jpg
    P1020421.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 83
No, I dont think it's a mold issue. I have seen the same thing over uneaten food before. I put a pellet in my RCS tank to see if they'd nibble on it and it had the white growth around it after a day or two. I think you're just seeing that because the shrimp was dead.

mfdrookie516 said:
No, I dont think it's a mold issue. I have seen the same thing over uneaten food before. I put a pellet in my RCS tank to see if they'd nibble on it and it had the white growth around it after a day or two. I think you're just seeing that because the shrimp was dead.

OK, that's good to hear. What is the white growth then, algae?

I just did my weekly water testing, and here's the results.

7.0 pH
6 degrees GH
2 degrees KH
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrItes
5 ppm nitrAtes

Back
Top Bottom