Pregnant Platties Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had 3 pregnant platties die in the last week or so. Before they died, they became listless and mostly hung out at the bottom of the tank. I didn't notice any unusual external changes. No ich. No scales popping out. Nothing like that.

Nitrate: 10 to 15 ppm (it comes out of the tap at 10 ppm)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Water temp: 78 degress

Ph: 8.0

The male platty and the otocinclus cat seem to be fine.

Any suggestions?

Its not that common to lose a fish due to birthing problems, even more uncommon to lose 3 at a time...but I assume not impossible either. Can you tell if any other fish were harrasing them? Particularly the male platies?

Devilishturtles said:
Its not that common to lose a fish due to birthing problems, even more uncommon to lose 3 at a time...but I assume not impossible either. Can you tell if any other fish were harrasing them? Particularly the male platies?

There is only one male, and I didn't notice him bothering them.

I had a guppy die during pregnancy, but she developed what looked like a hernia...was there anything unsual looking with your platties or just the listlessness?

The only thing I have noticed is their listlessness. However, this morning I noticed that the male had died. So it's not a pregnancy thing.

Back
Top Bottom