Pregnant Platy????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a platy that likes to stay at the top or the back bottom corner of the tank and no longer swims with her friends avoids other fish like the plague is she pregnant ? tank is old and cycled water levels are all good any ideas ?

Does she have a gravid spot?
I have read that females about to give birth hide out behind stuff, so this could very well be the case. ;)

i belive she does have a dark spot under her belly and today she is hiding behind the plant

does she look like this?
preg01.jpg
or
2338-when-move-my-pregnant-platy-preg1.jpg

When ever u see her squared off \__/ u need to put her in the breeder box/net, only if u want to keep the fry. Do u know how to care for the fry?

not really i do have a breeding net now and i picked up some free guppy fry all i really know is crunch up the flakes for them and clean up what they dont eat i have my guppy fry in my small tank right now

Breeder boxes/nets are just too stressful and will result in a smaller brood. Just make sure you have a few plastic plants (floating or anchored) and keep your eye open for hiding fry. Then if you seem some simply scoop them out and put them in a different tank.

Breeder boxes/nets are just too stressful and will result in a smaller brood. Just make sure you have a few plastic plants (floating or anchored) and keep your eye open for hiding fry. Then if you seem some simply scoop them out and put them in a different tank.

That's 100% right. I should of mentioned that u should put the fry in, not the pregnant fishie.

:fish1::fish2::fish1:
:fish2::fish1::fish2:
:fish1::fish2:

very cool me or my wife is home so we keep an eye on her one of us will scoop them out i have my guppy fry in a small tank now can i put platy fry with them?? temp for fry? and general care is it the same as regular fish?

It's all generally the same. I'm sure you can keep the different type of fry together. For food, stay away from liquid foods they just foul up the tank fairly quick, either mash up your normal fish food or just buy Hikari first bites.

very cool me or my wife is home so we keep an eye on her one of us will scoop them out i have my guppy fry in a small tank now can i put platy fry with them?? temp for fry? and general care is it the same as regular fish?

I keep my temp. at 78 Fahrenheit

Yes same basic needs are the same.

As for me I use/recommend "First Bites" it's made by "Hikari" it's a powder fish food just for fry.

Back
Top Bottom