Problem with worming medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone else had issues with worming young fantail goldfish?

I read on this forum the benefits of worming goldfish, and so undertook to do that.

I followed the right dosage in the water, but the medicine had a very bad effect on my fish.

Each little guy became very lethargic, despondent and only slightly interested in meal times. They would hide away behind plants, and my most sensitive fishie, Spotty, would not often come out for meals at all. They also swam with jerky movements.

I got so worried that I changed their water 6 hours before it was due (following the instructions of the medicine).

Since the 25% x2 PWC, they are all back to being their interactive, curious and hungry little selves. The change was remarkable and immediate.

Could I have done something wrong with the meds? And more importantly, could I have caused the little guys some kind of permanent issues? If anything, I under dosed rather than overdosed. The fishies are very young - under a year old. Water parameters are good except ph very low (6.0-6.5). I'm changing 25% of the water daily in a 50L tank until my new filter arrives and I can shift everyone to their new 160L tank (I will do a fish-in cycle due to the urgency of moving the little guys into a more decent tank size).

Actually, worms are rarely an issue in goldfish but flukes are a huge problem that can cause life long issues. What type of med did you use? What were your parameters when you added it? How much did you add? Some more info will help!

Hello, the medicine is fluke and tapeworm tablets for fresh and saltwater fish.

It is the 'Blue Planet' brand and the active ingredient is praziquantel. There is 100g of the praziquantel in each tab., and according to the instructions, I put 2 tablets in the water, and so 200g for about 40-50L of water.

My water parameters are ok as changing 25% daily until I can get my new filter for the 160L tank I have purchased.

I have 4 young fantail goldfish in the 50-60L tank. They will only be there a few more days.

I am so worried about the medicine that I am reluctant to do the second recommended dose in 7 days.

I purchased it after reading all of the fantastic advice on this forum.

I'll look forward to hearing from you :)

Thanks! There are no other ingredients than prazi? I am actually surprised they would have had such a reaction as I have treated not only adults with prazi but fry at ages of 1 week, 1 month and 3 months without an issue. 200mg/40l is a 5mg/l concentration which is pretty much a standard dose. As you have changed out two 25% wcs and the concentration has been reduced and they seem back to their normal selves, I would stick to a 2.5mg/l concentration for further treatments. Hope this helps! :)

Dear jlk,

I'll go ahead with the half dose you suggested, as the second and last course of the medicine.

Perhaps my fish are too spoilt and were just 'put out' by the medicine?!

Thank you again for all the advice and support you give :)

The little guys below;

Attachments

• image-4016077375.jpg
    image-4016077375.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 67
Spoiled? Lol!!! I think we all spoil our fish to one extent or another. ;)

Its not so much a 'half' dose at 2.5mg/l but this dose used to be standard. With issues of flukes developing resistance to prazi, the general recommendation now is to dose at double this or 5mg/l. Hope this makes some sense!

Back
Top Bottom