Problems after more problems..now ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep breathing!

Activated charcoal is the reason they say to replace the cartridge. After a few weeks, it stops doing chemical filtration. It still gives mechanical filtration.

You'll get through this!

Okay did we get him fixed up, I had to go to bed I was exhausted after a long day of tank maintenence and family lol, his cartridge is bran new he's having so much issues because he got a tank Oct 8th filled it with water and put fish in it, I'll give petco the benefit of the doubt but my gut is telling me these fish were sick when he bought them, he had a toxin spike which killed some of the other fish he's doing a fish in tank cycle with I believe 8 fish I gave him links of how to do fish in cycles without it being to brutal.

Another thing are you temperature matching the water to the tank before you add it? if not you have to it is a must.

Another thing are you temperature matching the water to the tank before you add it? if not you have to it is a must.
Yeah I'm matching the temperature before I add it. I just did another water change and added half the dosage of the Fordin ick stuff because I added the other stuff I got from Walmart. I plan on adding a full dose tonight.

Kordon rid ich?, follow directions on the bottle, do 10% change everynight before you add your daily dose, gravel vacuum good because the ich falls off the fish into the gravel and will reattach if not vacced out.

Kordon rid ich?, follow directions on the bottle, do 10% change everynight before you add your daily dose, gravel vacuum good because the ich falls off the fish into the gravel and will reattach if not vacced out.
Yeah my phone auto corrected it my bad. And okay I just did a water change but I didn't vaccum because I was told not to vacuum because of the nitrate and nitrite problem. But tomorrow I will do another water change and i will vaccum the gravel.

Also, is it okay that I'm doing daily water changes with all these problems going on?

Know the enemy....
It is through vacuuming and the meds at the right time only that you can actually kill the pest...
So unless you know where each little ich is in the cycle of life , daily vacuuming and re dosing of meds is needed...
This is a common disease because it survies if you don't kill it...
Meds till you are sure there has been 3 days of no spots on any fish at least...
All the water changes are also a big boost to any fish and part of the best plan .

Well here's the thing you're in a bit of a pickle, your tank isn't cycled so yes you have to do water changes so the fish don't die of the toxins, and it's recommended to do 10% before each dose of rid ich, I wouldn't do a deep deep gravel vac just vacuum the surface to get the ich that's fallen off.

Know the enemy....
It is through vacuuming and the meds at the right time only that you can actually kill the pest...
So unless you know where each little ich is in the cycle of life , daily vacuuming and re dosing of meds is needed...
This is a common disease because it survies if you don't kill it...
Meds till you are sure there has been 3 days of no spots on any fish at least...
All the water changes are also a big boost to any fish and part of the best plan .
Okay awesome. That's what I've been doing so far. But I have another problem on top of that. I guess my tank is cycling again so my nitrates and nitrites are high. I've been vaccumming and waterchanging daily and treating with meds

Well here's the thing you're in a bit of a pickle, your tank isn't cycled so yes you have to do water changes so the fish don't die of the toxins, and it's recommended to do 10% before each dose of rid ich, I wouldn't do a deep deep gravel vac just vacuum the surface to get the ich that's fallen off.
Okay I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Should I do the ich dose once a day or twice? It says you can do it twice if needed.

Okay I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Should I do the ich dose once a day or twice? It says you can do it twice if needed.
It says it on the bottle, it's once a day before you go into your night cycle, your tank was never cycled you said you set it up Oct 8th and added fish to it, the tank might be cycled in a month but without an accurate test kit we cannot be certain, if your ammonia is 0 nitrite are high and nitrates are none then no it's not cycled, if ammonia is 0 nitrites are high and nitrates are 20+ppm then it's still working on it.

You said you do 25% daily that's way to much but with the rid ich you have to do 10% a day to get the fallen ich out of the tank, once you have your ammonia and nitrite at 0 which I believe nitrite is reading high but no ammonia is cause you were using ammo lock, and some tetra brand conditioner, prime locks both ammonia and nitrite, so once you get everything squared away do 1 50% change a week or 2 25%, ONLY after you get a good test kit to make sure your ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrates are 20+

I believe nitrite is reading high but no ammonia is cause you were using ammo lock,

Tests will still pick up ammonia after AmmoLock, but strips are not very accurate.

There are two types of nitrifying bacteria. One converts ammonia to nitrite, the other converts nitrite to nitrate. If you have zero ammonia, that first team of bacteria is up and running.

I disagree on 25% daily water changes being too much while cycling, especially if the water you are removing is coming from the water column. There amount of beneficial bacteria in the water column is negligible, but almost all of the toxins are there. Get them out.

Tests will still pick up ammonia after AmmoLock, but strips are not very accurate.

There are two types of nitrifying bacteria. One converts ammonia to nitrite, the other converts nitrite to nitrate. If you have zero ammonia, that first team of bacteria is up and running.

I disagree on 25% daily water changes being too much while cycling, especially if the water you are removing is coming from the water column. There amount of beneficial bacteria in the water column is negligible, but almost all of the toxins are there. Get them out.
He just ordered prime, I don't know if his tank is cycled because he uses strips and can't give accurate numbers, I would never do 25% a day on my tanks because of the fact it stresses the fish, but with all his issues doing 25%a day is okay but you also have to understand his fish are severly stressed because of A.) his toxins and B.) ich

I was incorrect about 10% before you add your dose of rid ich it's 20-25% so stick with what you have been doing, but I would not do 25% daily after you get your paramiters under control and ich taken care of, also use the treatment for 3 extra days after you see no more spots

So let me rephrase this... After you get rid of your ich and know your tank is established 25% daily is not needed, 2 25% or 1 50% weekly will be perfect I personally do 2 30%.

I'm a girl by the way. But yes I will do 25% water changes daily until I get my parameters under control and get rid of the ich.

Back
Top Bottom