Problems with Pacus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdd725

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a Red Pacu which was about 9 inches in length in a 150 gal aquarium that suddenly developed a milky haze over its' eyes. Within 2 days the fish had expired. After a 3/4 tank water change and after a month I had added another Red Pacu, within 8hrs. this fish has the exact symptoms of the latter. Both eyes are now milky to the point the pupil is not visible and the fish is listless. The pH, ammonia level and the nitrate levels are fine. What would cause this? Bacterial infection? Metals? I have been keeping fish for more than 30 years and have never experienced anything like this. :(

My fish has this now, and gets it every now and again...it's a fungus infection. There is some sort of fungus in the water that is getting into your fish's eyes. A medicine like FungusCure will clear in up in a few hours usually.

Did you add any fish, plants, or inverts to the tank recently?
Sounds like some really nasty pathogen somehow made its way into your tank.
You may have to break down the tank and sterilize everything (gravel, decorations, etc).

pacu

Nothing has been added to the aquarium. The pacu was the only inhabitant. A fungus... possibly, but from where?? How could I test for the presence of a fungus. Yes, It looks like I will be breaking this aquarium down and starting over. Something that I rarely have to do. In fact I have kept some Cichlids for close to 20 years.

Today I checked the pH with another kit and found the level to be 6.0 or less since that is the bottom of the test range. I also double checked with the use of a pH meter. So it seems that the Pacu's eyes have been acid burned? What is the treatment if any? All other water paramaters were normal. The fish after being transferred to another aquaria seems much better except for the milky coating on its' eyes.

Back
Top Bottom