Puzzling platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suefromuk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my platies developed a very swollen stomach about a month ago.
A fry appeared in the tank and I presumed more would come, but none did.
So I decided that it could be parasites and treated accordingly. The platy never acted strangely and only has for symptoms the swollen stomach, no raised scales, no lethargy, and eats well. She does have often a white string coming from her anus. I'm putting frozen peas in the tank which often all four platies pounce on and eat. I do this twice a week.
I'd add that I've had a freshwater tank with real plants for about 20 years now...and do water changes and clean outs by syphoning of the bottom layer of stones and sand routinely. I very rarely lose a fish. It's a community tank 29 gal, with a big pump and an additional aerator.Can anyone tell me what to do next? Thank-you.Sue

Last edited:
Your Fish

Hell Sue...

I keep a lot of Red Wag Platys and some of the females are quite large. They drop a few fry occasionally, especially after a large water change, but not very many. This is pretty normal from my observations. Putting chemicals into the tank is never a good idea. You don't know how the fish, plants and beneficial bacteria will react. The best thing to do, is to keep the tank water free of dissolved wastes by removing and replacing it regularly. I raise the temperature of the replacement water a bit. This seems to energize the fish if they seem a little lazy. The more water you replace and the more often you replace it, the better. Feed a little of some quality food. Cobalt, Hikari, Tetra and Sally's are likely the best.

Pay particular attention to the keeping the tank water clean and consider working up to the point you're changing half every week. The fish and plants will appreciate the increase in new water.

B

Back
Top Bottom