Pygmy catfish with no tail, red spot near dorsal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night we discovered a Pygmy catfish with no tail. Miss Betta is not in tank so it was not her.

The only other creatures in there with the 11 catfish are 2 Amano shrimp.

I got a better look at him after a water change just now, and he appears the have a red spot or maybe a sore. Looks like there are two spots. Also next to where he was laying earlier, there was a red speck on the sand and it may have fallen off of him or that may be something else. And his dorsal fin is weird bent.

We netted him and he's in a cup of tank water. We sucked the red speck out of the water too. I can't really get a picture of him. It won't come out good.

He's also swimming a little spazzy but then again he has no tail.

What can we do for him? I think he may pass soon though.

And we're concerned about the rest of the catfish and shrimp.

I'm gona put a drop or two of pimafix and melafix in cup w him and see what that does.

Also we took a fake plant out of the 10g tank and put it in the 5g w our female betta, and I didn't rinse it first. I took it out and the water level was low at the time (we were doing a water change) and rinsed w hot water. I hope she doesn't get sick :(

Also I have an open paper cut on my hand that I forgot about until after. Not sure if I got it in tank water or not. Washed it well doused w hot water and put an antibiotic on it.

Should I be concerned?

****. Could Betta have bitten him awhile ago ? Maybe got infected and you didn't see it till it got really bad ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlikely, but possible. Everyone else had tails when we removed her, except the one that had no tail that died the next day (this was a few weeks ago, not the fish from a few days ago).

I hadn't considered that... hmmm.... but I don't know how to explain the tail even if she did bite him elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom