QT / Hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys, I need some advice on QT. I finally decided to have one, it is a necessity. Do you recommend to go full blown on it - biowheels and everything, or I could just go Wallmart $50 10 gallon setup with fluorescent light, heater, and cheesy filter hoping that bacteria will grow on gravel with no UGF? Or maybe I need a biowheel and no gravel at all for better maintenance/ treatment ? Please advice.

Without some sort of fish to keep the QT cycled, the filter type isn't gonna matter. The bacteria will die off unless the tank is constantly under use.

I'd go get a 10 gallon, a 25 or 50 watt heater, and Penguin Mini. That'd run about $40-50. ($10 for tank, $10-15 for heater, $20-25 for penguin mini (at petsmart anyways)). I'd set it up with the heater, but put the Penguin Mini on your 55g. That way it can cycle off the established tank. When you need to use the QT, just move it over.

You do not think that I need cover or light of any sort? Wallmart package includes tank, fluorescent light canopy, heater, and simple HOB filter for $50. No bio-wheel though. I also have a in-tank mini-filter, I could keep that in my 55. What about substrate?

Considering the fact that if you medicate in the QT you'll wreck the bio filter anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about the bio-wheel. Even if you don't medicate in there and it is just for new fish, they will only be in there for 2-3 weeks so long term stability isn't as important. I would (and do) put the extra filter on my main tank, as Ferret suggested, because then it is already cycled for when you bring home new fish!

My QT filter is an in-tank mini-filter too. Just don't change the media when you move the filter to the QT. I've had 3 new tiger barbs in my tiny QT for almost 2 weeks now, and have not had any elevated ammonia readings because I used the already cycled filter. When I put the new fish in my main tank this weekend, I'll change the filter media in the in-tank filter and then run it in my main tank until I need it next time. I have no substrate in the QT, just a cheap ceramic pot thingy for the fish to hide in. Makes it easier to clean between uses.

Are you setting up a QT because you're planning to get more fish? New fish are so much fun! I can't wait to get my new barbs out of the QT this weekend and put them in the main tank!

Well, a hood is certainly an option :p I always forget that when tallying things up.

I avoid walmart for purchases and usually use Petsmart, its literally next door just about. So any prices I state are their's.

10 Gallon: $8
Fluorescent hood: $25
Heater: $10-15
Penguin Mini: $22 (At petsmart)

Substrate from my understanding is not necessarily needed in a QT, since its a temporary holding tank. I would imagine regular 'aquarium' gravel would be just fine. Petsmart sells a large variety in many quantities. A 10 pound bag is like $7 or something.

So setup here is up to $70. The main point here though, as illustrated below, is better quality equipment.

Petsmart also has 10 gallon starter kits. I personally never buy these but buy seperate components as above. Its about $50 again, comes with tank and hoods iradescent or fluorescent I believe, a 'Topfin 10' filter and Topfin heater. I believe most of these components to be crap. The TopFin 10 will give you just the minimal amount of filtration needed for a 10 gallon in the long run (But this is a QT so you might not care). Their heaters are fine but I'd rather buy something from Marineland. Same for the hood. The hood is another 'Topfin' generic thing, same with the light. The hoods they sell seperately are again Marineland, with Eclipse lighting. I really suggest biowheel filters (Penguin Mini), regardless of tank size. Personal preference, but the biowheel is where all the good bacteria grows, so changing out your other filter media becomes a much less critical issue. The biowheels IMO are also a lot harder to kill off. You could even remove it and float it in your other tank while medicating the other tank to keep it alive, and drop it back on after medication to keep the filtration up.

Heh. I should be a Marineland sales rep. Sorry, but I really do trust them far more than any generic equipment you'll find in those Petsmart and Walmart starter kits. Its for the life of your fish man, they're worth an extra $10-20 ;)

Ok guys, maybe this is what I will do. I will go get a $8 tank from Petsmart, I already have mini-in-tank filter. I will also get a glass top (so that they will not jump out - $10, heater ($12-$15) and I am all set. all and all - $35. this is better than hanging another HOB on my 55. I will just hide the small filter there somewhere. thanks a lot. Here are some kudos for you guys.

EDIT: Sorry ferret, i just saw your last post. thanks!

The wal-mart 10gal kits are very nice.

I got an Incadescent hood [ I.E. Non-Delux ] version of one of their 10gal kits here recently for a fry tank, threw in some mini compact 10watt Florescents [ 20watt total ] and my fry, and all my live plants, are growing like mad.

It comes with decent filtration to.

The only difference between delux and regular kits at walmart is delux is florescent hood and heater, regular is incadescent and no heater.

I prefer the incadescents cause I get the propper wattage with them :D

You don't NEED a heater with incadescents :p At least not while they're on. A 25 watt incadescent will easily heat a 10 gallon to 86-88 degrees during an 8 hour period.

And at night the temp will drop to 77 and the fish will have heart attack after a couple of those. Instead of Hospital tank it will be a Death Trap :D

I don't even do lights on my QT tanks. A filter (and an aerator only cause the filter is a Fluval 1+ and not a HOB), a heater and a top. I've a coupla plastic plants and a ceramic cave for loach QT. Tis all.

35$ is a great price capt!

Back
Top Bottom